Discuss 18th Edition exam...Thursday in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No questions require calculations.
I came across a practice question which required calculation of the adiabatic equation.

That said in the actual exam I had no calculations. I don't think you're at all likely to get more than one question with a calculation in it.

I came across a practice question which required calculation of the adiabatic equation.

That said in the actual exam I had no calculations. I don't think you're at all likely to get more than one question with a calculation in it.
I remember having the adiabatic in the 16th , but that was a paper exam.

Agree with all,it’s not particularly easy,but with the book it’s ok.
Medical locations appeared,appendix 5 used quite a bit.
I’ve done the 15,16,17 & now the 18th,this was the hardest,maybe cause of my age,but I passed with 80%,so happy,good luck .

Good evening all,

Booked in for the 18th edition exam on Thursday morning after completing the online training package with XS training.

Been getting 90% plus on the majority of the practice tests and felt pretty confident.......until yesterday when the doubts started to set in. I suppose a lot of it comes down to being in my 40's and it been a good long while since I last sat a C&G exam. I am also hearing it's much harder than the 17th.

Anyone already passed who can confirm just how awful it is and/or tell me to get a grip!

ATB

Chris
How did you find the XS package? I’m about to push the button with them.

How did you find the XS package? I’m about to push the button with them.

I will let you know tomorrow how successful the package was!

It has certainly given me a good understanding of navigating my way around the book and I score 90% + on their mock exams so something must be working.

It quite simply is a lot of reading! I was expecting tutorials and training aids etc but it is just a case of reading the various training topics, referencing them with the BBB and then a test at the end of the main chapters. 18th changes are shown in green within each section.

David and Stuart who own XS are very helpful and any emails are answered very quickly. I went with the online option as I could learn at my own pace and fit it around my shifts.

ATB

Chris

Well the results are in........Passed it with 98%! Genuinely surprised and glad it's out of the way.

Only had 2 questions which needed calculation, Zs and voltage drop so both fairly simple.

From what I have seen today, the ZS online package has it very well covered. The time spent repeatedly going through the practice tests really has paid off. I would recommend going a few of thr ----------- quizes as well, just to ser thr way they word the questions.

One of the others blokes on the exam (not with ZS training) turned up without a regs book and seemed genuinely surprised when he failed!

Hopefully I will have called it a day before the 19th appears!

ATB

Chris

Another pass here.

Scored 59 out of 60 but they couldn’t tell me which question I got wrong.
Best score out of the 8 taking the exam today.

I had one question needing the calculator, but as all the exams have different questions, it could have been none, or more.

Didn’t do so great on the mock papers and trials, so happy with the result

I found the 18th to be a lot harder than the 17th, although in saying that, I did not do a course, just read through the regs a bit and booked an exam at a test centre some 70 miles away from where I live - the exam is more about where to find the answers to the badly worded questions rather than knowledge based - as long as you can confidently find your way around the regs you will be ok!

A waste of a day and a waste of money.
C&G allowed me to do just the 17th exam and I got 100%..
This time for the 18th I was told I couldn’t just sit the exam..
A full day sat there sucking eggs waiting to sit the exam.. 6 hours later 100%..
Did the 1 day ‘course’ help me?
No.. just a money spinner for something that is the most basic thing in our profession..

I did the 18th in February.
Phoned up the training centre about 1:30 - 1:45.
Was told that if I got there before 2:30, I could do the exam that day.
Borrowed a book and a calculator (which unfortunately didn’t have the square root function) from the centre.
Passed, got 90%, took me just over an hour.
I figure I got 5 to 8 questions wrong.
When I did the 2391 multiple choice exam two months later, borrowed 3 books and a calculator (with the square root and the 1/x function, took me about 20 mins, I got 93% and 4 questions wrong.

I did the Exam Friday morning, found the whole thing a lot more difficult than the 17th, mainly simply I'm looking up answers from badly worded questions( luckily no calculator needed on my test)
luckily passed at 75% even though was getting 90% at home (electra course)
just hoping that's no more exciting stressful tests for another 10 years

I find it strange that we seem to be forced into doing the regs exams but never any pressure to do an exam on the eawr or on the building regs, which are in actual fact proper legal acts of parliament..
When it comes to assessment day all we have to show is a copy of such publications

Reply to 18th Edition exam...Thursday in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net