Discuss 18th edition final changes released by IET in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Generally cables installed above a plaster board ceiling with a minimum 30 minutes fire protection will not require metallic fixings.
If it where the case we would need to be doing now on our works such as new builds where cables are installed above a ceiling to landing areas and halls just above your front doorway.

I recall watching one of those IET videos from an Elex show, where that Darren Staniforth (NIC/Elecsa) was ridiculing a colleague from Napit, as Napit interpretation of the above, is that plasterboard ceiling would not meet the proposed new reg change.

Interesting how people interpret things differently, isn't it!

My Mrs Miggins, is not going to be happy me taking her ceiling down or most of her floor, to clip a cable with suitable fixings.

Metallic pipes entering the building having an insulating section at their point of entry need not be connected to the protective equipotential bonding (Regulation 411.3.1.2).

Has anyone actually seen such an install?

PS not having a dig at you Spoon!

My water pipe is like this.

What metal, piece of plastic threw wall, then metal? Surely plumbers don't do that to save us from the effort of bonding?

Mines plastic then all metal, seen all metal and all plastic, but none with a teeny piece of plastic?

In regards to the bonding, if it tests out as an extraneous conductive part then bond it, if not then no need!

Why do the iet need to write some new stupid fandangled regulation to decide if Bonding is required. Just test as normal and apply protective binding if required.

What do you do, if you test it on a new build and find its extraneous, and you haven't dragged in a cable?

What metal, piece of plastic threw wall, then metal? Surely plumbers don't do that to save us from the effort of bonding?

Mines plastic then all metal, seen all metal and all plastic, but none with a teeny piece of plastic?

My pipe comes up through a concrete section in the kitchen, (about 2 foot square section) and that is plastic. All kitchen appliances are plastic pipes. Change to copper pipe when the pipe goes boiler.

My pipe comes up through a concrete section in the kitchen, (about 2 foot square section) and that is plastic. All kitchen appliances are plastic pipes. Change to copper pipe when the pipe goes boiler.

Arrrgh, I had visions of a metal service going up an outside wall, changing into plastic through the wall, and then back into metal on the inside of the house :rolleyes:

Pull one in I guess. At the end of the day the installation won’t comply with regards to fault protection if it is missing where required.

That's probably a bit uneconomic on a large new estate, after the fact? Not having done any house bashing recently, guess its all plastic.

I recall watching one of those IET videos from an Elex show, where that Darren Staniforth (NIC/Elecsa) was ridiculing a colleague from Napit, as Napit interpretation of the above, is that plasterboard ceiling would not meet the proposed new reg change.

Interesting how people interpret things differently, isn't it!

My Mrs Miggins, is not going to be happy me taking her ceiling down or most of her floor, to clip a cable with suitable fixings.
Well if the NICEIC think it is wrong, then that proves I am right; because they always interpret things in their own way that rarely coincides with the regulations!:)o_O

In regards to the bonding, if it tests out as an extraneous conductive part then bond it, if not then no need!

Why do the iet need to write some new stupid fandangled regulation to decide if Bonding is required. Just test as normal and apply protective binding if required.
In a domestic setting that’s easy, in a more commercial and industrial setting it’s not always possible to do this.
Testing the piece of metal I mean.

I guess all the main manufacturers will be launching combined AFDD CPDs over the next few months. Currently the UK availability of such devices is sparse, with Eaton & Siemens premium offerings being some THREE modules wide, being combined RCBO+AFDD, and Schneider with their combined AFDD+MCB device two modules wide. There will certainly be an increasing demand for two and three bank boards going forward, with an even bigger difference in cost between the minimum standard twin RCD + MCB board and the maximum all singing, all dancing installation (combined AFDD/RCBO with switched neutral CPDs) not forgetting SPD protection.
There desperately needs to be some IET budget for TV advertising to make the public aware of these recommendations, their benefits and awareness of the costs.

There desperately needs to be some IET budget for TV advertising to make the public aware of these recommendations, their benefits and awareness of the costs.

There is more change of my dangly doubling in size, to 2 foot long, and dragging along the floor......

Reply to 18th edition final changes released by IET in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net