Discuss 18th edition final changes released by IET in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

In reference to the arc fault protection - my understanding to the phrase ‘recommended’ is that unless you can come up with a dam good reason not to, you put it in. The whole of BS7671 is a recommendation - how offen do you deviate from that? I though they where going to change the wording to ‘could be considered’.

In reference to the arc fault protection - my understanding to the phrase ‘recommended’ is that unless you can come up with a dam good reason not to, you put it in. The whole of BS7671 is a recommendation - how offen do you deviate from that? I though they where going to change the wording to ‘could be considered’.

And here lies the problem. Regs these days are not written in plain English. Either it is required or it is not required.

The complete extreme of this is Grendfell Tower which was built on the back of interpretations of poorly written Regulations.

Beama have produced a guide for AFDD's (Nov 2017), for those not seen it.

It says 'It is recommended that special measures be taken to protect against the effects of arc faults in final circuits:
• in premises with sleeping accommodation;
• in locations with risks of fire due to the nature of processed or
stored materials, i.e. BE2 locations, (e.g. barns, woodworking shops, stores of combustible materials);
• in locations with combustible constructional materials,
.e. CA2 locations (e.g. wooden buildings);
• in fire propagating structures, i.e. CB2 locations;

• in locations with endangering of irreplaceable goods.

And 'In order to implement the technical intent of the HD, Bs 7671 18th Edition will include requirements covering the use of AFDDs however the actual requirements and final wording will not be available until publication of the 18th Edition in July 2018.

So lets wait and see; but looks like you chaps doing EICR's will coding away on those recently installed A3 CU's, 'cos they won't be big enough to add AFDD's :)

Attachments

• BEAMA Guide to Arc Fault Detection Devices (AFDD).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Beama have produced a guide for AFDD's (Nov 2017), for those not seen it.

It says 'It is recommended that special measures be taken to protect against the effects of arc faults in final circuits:
• in premises with sleeping accommodation;
• in locations with risks of fire due to the nature of processed or
stored materials, i.e. BE2 locations, (e.g. barns, woodworking shops, stores of combustible materials);
• in locations with combustible constructional materials,
.e. CA2 locations (e.g. wooden buildings);
• in fire propagating structures, i.e. CB2 locations;

• in locations with endangering of irreplaceable goods.

And 'In order to implement the technical intent of the HD, Bs 7671 18th Edition will include requirements covering the use of AFDDs however the actual requirements and final wording will not be available until publication of the 18th Edition in July 2018.

So lets wait and see; but looks like you chaps doing EICR's will coding away on those recently installed A3 CU's, 'cos they won't be big enough to add AFDD's :)

Very helpful. Thanks.

Looks like not really required in domestic building yet then.

Concerning, "Two new regulations (542.2.3 and 542.2.8) have been introduced concerning earth electrodes..."

If they have kept the same numbers and words as in the draft for public consultation (DPC):

542.2.3 Where foundation earth electrodes are installed the materials and dimensions of the earth electrodes shall be selected to withstand corrosion and to have adequate mechanical strength.

NOTE: If a lightning protection system (LPS) is present, BS EN 62305-1 applies

542.2.4 The type and embedded depth of an earth electrode shall be such that soil drying and freezing will bot increase its resistance above the required value.​

There was a proposed regulation, 542.1.201, that stated, "... Additionally, there shall be an earth electrode, supplementing any earthing facility provided by the distributor, in accordance with (blah), to prevent the appearance of a dangerous touch voltage in the event of the loss of the main connection to Earth."

This was the one that received the most negative comments (and general mirth) in the entire DPC. There is no mention of it at all on the IET's list of changes (linked to in post #1)

So those who invested in shares in lump hammers, SDS Max drills, or CAT scanners might not get as much return on their investment as they thought (although the changes to Section 722 about electrical vehicle charging might mean there is still some uplift in earth rod sales).

This is all I can see ....

Chapter 54 Earthing arrangements and protective conductors

• Two new regulations (542.2.3 and 542.2.8) have been introduced concerning earth electrodes.

Two new regulations (542.2.3 and 542.2.8) have been introduced concerning earth electrodes.

Jokes!!

They have explained some of the changes and then just put a stupid statement against others like electrodes. Like others have eluded to, I think they have yet to really make up their minds or they know that what they have decided is going to annoy folk.

I see the arc fault detection is only a reccomendation, when it becomes mandatory our boards our going to increase in size considerably. Changing an old MEM board with minimal space is going to become very difficult
I read that contractors should consult trusted partners as the specifying the correct rated device taking into account the level of deterioration with regards to the age of cables installed, what utter bollox I can see the being new builds/ renovation jobs only so if Joe blogs want a board moved in his 1950,s semi do we rip up the floors looking for VIR or cotton wound lead sheathed cable yeah as if

Did a job today, where customer previously asked for new socket, he had no rcd. So i was going to install rcd socket. Decides today he doesn't want to bother with that. But lets continue with the under cabinet lights; in July We won't be able to do that :)
You’ll get away with it until they come into force in January

Reply to 18th edition final changes released by IET in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net