Discuss 18th Edition - Poll - what are your thoughts? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

We don't know all the confirmed changes but I think moving forward with safety and possible life saving regulations is a good thing, regards to expense, £150 on books and £250 on a course isn't too bad in my eyes and I'm a cards in spark who will pay for it all.

If one of the new regulations saves one persons lige... surely it's worth it?

Isn't it getting near the point of being out of control though? I mean RCD protection for everything without exception seems a bit much. The only people to really benefit are the manufacturers of circuit protection devices. I hate installing 3ph distribution boards with RCBOs in every single way.

All these extra safety features are still missing the point that most unsafe electrics are due to shoddy installation or neglecting maintenance, not lack of circuit protection. Properly installed UK wiring is very safe, even without RCDS, AFCIs etc. on every circuit.

I keep saying this but if people want to use electricity they need to understand that it needs to be treated with respect. The regulations should not be adjusted to allow for careless/stupid people.

You'll have 'more of an opinion' @Pete999 unless you retired just before the 9th came out AND I don't think that is true is it?
Experience is always valued by all on the forum - don't hang up your tool belt and mouse just yet!

Not seen a risk assessed socket yet, seen plenty labelled which I feel works well. Mainly going to effect domestic installers then you would feel.

Isn't there something about all sockets rated 32A or less requiring RCD protection though as opposed to 20A or less

Not seen a risk assessed socket yet, seen plenty labelled which I feel works well. Mainly going to effect domestic installers then you would feel.

Isn't there something about all sockets rated 32A or less requiring RCD protection though as opposed to 20A or less

All socket outlets not exceeding 32A. Have you not read the draft?

I worked out that if both my neighbours either side of me charged up their electric vehicles over night along with mine, the supply cable in the road would melt, so i think an earth rod at every house is anticipating the inevitable... lol

Reply to 18th Edition - Poll - what are your thoughts? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net