Discuss 18th edition question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Be interested to hear what spin has to say, if this turns out to be wrong well fair enough. But I cant help thinking it's not going to be wrong.
Has nobody else done the 18th, was there no discussion of this?

I did it a month back and we were told by the tutor cables above a plasterboard ceiling need not be supported by metalic fixings... So the opposite of your tutor.... This trade is getting a joke

The fire rating of plasterboard was raised during the discussion, but this was not considered to meet the requirement for supporting wiring systems
Which discussion please?
Every public discussion involving the IET, Certsure, or NAPIT has stated that a plasterboard ceiling is fine as a fire break, thus anything above is fine without metallic fixings.

that niceic guidance clearly states that cables above ceilings are not an entanglement risk.

Now we're using their guidance to our benefit, normally everybody says it's a load of old ********. :D

I wouldn't say its to our benefit ................ the regs, as written are ambiguous ........ the NICEIC seem to have come to a conclusion that plasterboard is sufficient protection ..............

So its unlikely that Wirepuller is on a NICEIC course .......

So done the 18th Edition today. The exam bloke stated to me that fire boards are ok - don’t need fire proof clips and also AFDDs are recommeded for all dwellings (sleeping accommodation).

Some interesting discussions above. I want to revisit an earlier topic discussion about arc detection from the IET Guidance Doc that was linked to above:

Chapter 42 Protection against thermal effects
"A new Regulation 421.1.7 has been introduced recommending the installation of arc fault detection devices (AFDDs) to mitigate the risk of fire in AC final circuits of a fixed installation due to the effects of arc fault currents."

How can a "Regulation" (which is necessarily enforced) make a "recommendation" (which by definition cannot be legally enforced). They are not the same legal entities - they have different legal meanings. I am going to formally ask the IET and the BSI about this. It is likely to cause a lot of frustrating legal and insurance liability issues. The IET could put it in the "On Site" Guide as a recommendation, but it should not be in BS7671 as a Regulation. OR, they should make it a mandatory legal requirement (which I would not support as I think it would be OTT).

Can someone please copy and paste 421.1.7 directly from the 18th Ed Regs as I do not need to buy a copy as I do not do any installation or inspection work these days (I am 67 and retired). Thanks!

Reply to 18th edition question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net