Discuss 18th edition question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I like to recommend a particular premium UK brand of board for domestic installation, it's got reduced height SP+N switched RCBO and is a pleasure to work with. But as yet I can't see afdd or sp listed to buy. Maybe this will all change, but today I couldn't provide quotes with / without ...

All this "give the customer the option" is a complete load of nonsense. For a start they will just go for the cheapest option, plus the sparky providing the quote is supposed to be the expert, heaping the responsibility onto the customer is a cop out to justify the ridiculous position the regulations are placing guys who actually live and work in the real world in.

I'm not convinced afdd and sp will add much to safety or utility. At least with the cable fixing changes there is a documented safety reason for it (whether they've got the fix spec'd correctly is another discussion perhaps). This data seems completely absent for afdd and sp, or did I fall asleep and miss that part of the movie?

The thing is, manufacturer’s want to sell stuff, hardware shops want to sell stuff, college's and training centres want to sell courses, the government want people with education and work skills.

They all want to do this as quickly and cheaply as possible, and the result is poorly made knock offs all round.

This is what we have to compete with as professionals, doing our best to do a good job, using decent tools and materials at a fair price.

Reply to 18th edition question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I am currently going self employed. I was never put through any 18th edition courses, so have booked myself onto my 18th wiring regs. I want...
Replies
Views
Hi got a 8 panel solar system on bungalow, changing the board to 18th edition spd board Solar feed is chased into wall so will this need a type B...
Replies
Views
Hi I’ve recenly completed my apprenticeship, I come into a conversation with many people that give me 2 answers 1 that I’m up to date with the...
Replies
Views
Hello all Well, been putting it off, but I need to upgrade my 17th edition to the 18th. Not been a practising sparky for over 5 years, but I have...
Replies
Views
having failed my first attempt at 18th edition exam, does anyone have any tips and tricks on how to study for the exam? being that there is a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock