Discuss 18th Edition .................... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

We all know the 18th edition is going to be forced on us next year.

So my question is, who makes these important decisions, not just what is included but the over reliance on making changes too often .................. I'd like to hear their justifications for making the seemingly too frequent changes............

Thanks

BS7671 is coordinated by a joint effort between IET and BSI through the Joint Technical Committee JPEL/64 - Electrical Installations of Buildings
Joint Committee
You can message the committee if you are logged in.
According to the BSI website the committee members are:

Sub-Committee Member
M o D - U K Defence Standardization
B I S - Department for Business Innovation and Skills
SPACES - Society for Public Architecture, Construction, Engineering
EAL
DC Users Forum
A C E - Association for Consultancy and Engineering
Chair - JPEL/64/C
R I A - Railway Industry Association
Liaison - GEL/8
N A P I T - National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers
B S I Contact for External Secretary
Liaison - GEL/82
B T Plc. - British Telecommunications Plc
Heating Ventilating and Air Conditioning Manufactures Association
Co Opted
British Cables Association
Energy Institute
Liaison - FSH/12
U N I T E - The Union
NHS Scotland
Chair - JPEL/64/A
I E T - Institution of Engineering and Technology
A M D E A - Association of Manufacturers of Domestic Appliances
B E A M A Limited
G A M B I C A Association Limited
E R A Technology Ltd
Individual Capacity - Surge Protection Devices
British Approvals Service for Cables
Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Limited
Institute of Healthcare Engineering and Estate Management
A E A - Agricultural Engineers Association
United Kingdom Accreditation Service
External Secretary
Chair - CPW/4
Electrical Contractors Association
H S E - Health and Safety Executive
Lighting Industry Association
S E L E C T
Safety Assessment Federation Ltd
Institution of Lighting Professionals
& Surveying
Certsure LLP
Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers
Co-Opted � CPW/4 expert
Chair - JEPL/64/B
Electrical Safety First
B E A M A Installation Ltd
Professional Lighting and Sound Association
Deputy Chair
Committee Chair
Individual Capacity � Competent Persons Forum
Intertek Group PLC
E N A - Energy Networks Association
External Secretary/Administrator
Association of Manufacturers of Power Generating Systems
Liaison - TCT/7
City and Guilds of London Institute

Why don't you add a comment to the draft 18th Murdoch, right at the front :)

Might not do anything, but you'll feel better. Works a bit like this forum.

Why don't you add a comment to the draft 18th Murdoch, right at the front :)

Might not do anything, but you'll feel better. Works a bit like this forum.
we're the last people to be taken notice of. LFB carry more weight and they're not electricians. the likes of niceic will say nowt, as they know they'll be able to generaste more income for themselves.

we're the last people to be taken notice of. LFB carry more weight and they're not electricians. the likes of niceic will say nowt, as they know they'll be able to generaste more income for themselves.

Looking at the draft, and specifically the amount of comments, well lack of them actually, it seems a lot of people take that attitude. Shame really, as since Murdoch started this thread 45mins ago, he's already had 10 comments.

BS7671 is coordinated by a joint effort between IET and BSI through the Joint Technical Committee JPEL/64 - Electrical Installations of Buildings
Joint Committee
You can message the committee if you are logged in.
According to the BSI website the committee members are:

Sub-Committee Member
M o D - U K Defence Standardization
B I S - Department for Business Innovation and Skills
SPACES - Society for Public Architecture, Construction, Engineering
EAL
DC Users Forum
A C E - Association for Consultancy and Engineering
Chair - JPEL/64/C
R I A - Railway Industry Association
Liaison - GEL/8
N A P I T - National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers
B S I Contact for External Secretary
Liaison - GEL/82
B T Plc. - British Telecommunications Plc
Heating Ventilating and Air Conditioning Manufactures Association
Co Opted
British Cables Association
Energy Institute
Liaison - FSH/12
U N I T E - The Union
NHS Scotland
Chair - JPEL/64/A
I E T - Institution of Engineering and Technology
A M D E A - Association of Manufacturers of Domestic Appliances
B E A M A Limited
G A M B I C A Association Limited
E R A Technology Ltd
Individual Capacity - Surge Protection Devices
British Approvals Service for Cables
Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Limited
Institute of Healthcare Engineering and Estate Management
A E A - Agricultural Engineers Association
United Kingdom Accreditation Service
External Secretary
Chair - CPW/4
Electrical Contractors Association
H S E - Health and Safety Executive
Lighting Industry Association
S E L E C T
Safety Assessment Federation Ltd
Institution of Lighting Professionals
& Surveying
Certsure LLP
Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers
Co-Opted � CPW/4 expert
Chair - JEPL/64/B
Electrical Safety First
B E A M A Installation Ltd
Professional Lighting and Sound Association
Deputy Chair
Committee Chair
Individual Capacity � Competent Persons Forum
Intertek Group PLC
E N A - Energy Networks Association
External Secretary/Administrator
Association of Manufacturers of Power Generating Systems
Liaison - TCT/7
City and Guilds of London Institute

Cripes, with that many groups involved I'm astonished they can agree anything, let alone changes to BS7671 about every 2-3 years.

Must be some nice biscuits at those meetings.....

Looking at the draft, and specifically the amount of comments, well lack of them actually, it seems a lot of people take that attitude. Shame really, as since Murdoch started this thread 45mins ago, he's already had 10 comments.

Where can you see the comments about the draft changes?

Where can you see the comments about the draft changes?

You have to register, email etc. Follow this IET link;

18th Edition of BS 7671: send us your feedback - IET Electrical - http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/64/dpc/index.cfm

Scroll down to the bottom 'Comment on the draft of BS 7671'. Once down search for BS 7671 (have the space between). Be warned, its a boring read :)

You have to register, email etc. Follow this IET link;

18th Edition of BS 7671: send us your feedback - IET Electrical - http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/64/dpc/index.cfm

Scroll down to the bottom 'Comment on the draft of BS 7671'. Once down search for BS 7671 (have the space between). Be warned, its a boring read :)

A boring read? That must be the understatement of the century. Just scrolling through the document to find the comments is so tedious.

I think that BS 7671 is turning into the bible .... written by a variety of people over the decades, all with slightly different perspectives on the subject matter!

Oi, mind your tongue @Murdoch - the Bible was written by the Holy Spirit through anointed men over time.
There is more evidence of the birth death and resurrection of Jesus Christ than there is of Julius Caesar existing.
I do however agree with you that the BS7671 is becoming somewhat fictional!

What has always bugged me is having to buy a new edition of war and peace every time a new edition is conjured up

The regs need not be edition after regular edition,it could be a rolling file,either paper or electronic, updated annually or even monthly,we need either insert and remove new pages or electronic updates as they are formed

I also don't like the idea that a organisation can make a standard then charge for individuals to pay to know what that standard contains

You only have to look at the list of committee members to realise that there are a number of them that have nothing technical to bring to the party other than the profitability of the publications that it spawns.

The purchase of the regs, associated guidance notes, onsite guide, update course and exams plus the lost productive time etc is now becoming a significant overhead just so you can work

The 17th edition amendment 3 is a prime example of how the regs where changed to suit a minority, LFB used it's localised stats to give us a totally misunderstood regulation and make metal consumer units mandatory when in the rest of the country the same stats didn't show the same trend. The solution would have been to review the training and competence of operatives but it is easier to cover it up by those with a vested interest on the committee it also seems strange that the way the fire stats are collected has been changed so it is difficult to analyse any improvement
A bit like the introduction of Part P followed by the RCD everything 17th edition it made people believe Part P was effective legislation without looking at the bigger picture

Reply to 18th Edition .................... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock