Discuss 18th Edition .................... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A boring read? That must be the understatement of the century. Just scrolling through the document to find the comments is so tedious.

It's all part of the cunning plan to make you complacent and get lost in the boring small print and layout so we will roll over and let them make their profit of something that they break in the first place; and that we don't really need or want.
As the list shows there may be a vested interest or two.

It's all part of the cunning plan to make you complacent and get lost in the boring small print and layout so we will roll over and let them make their profit of something that they break in the first place; and that we don't really need or want.
As the list shows there may be a vested interest or two.

A vested interest or 2 '......... More like nearly all of them

The website to view and comment on the proposed 18th edition is farcical.

It seems to have been designed to make it as difficult as possible to locate and comment on a subject. Thats without the painfully slow loading times most have been experiencing.

I've just commented advising the removal of Part 8 as this is not concerned with safety and has no place in BS7671. It's already covered in Building Regulations.

Steve Martin, ECA Head of Technical:

"These ECA survey findings should be seen as a wakeup call to those determined to push ahead with all the proposed changes to the Wiring Regulations. It’s vital that the voices of electrotechnical businesses and electricians are heard during this process"

ECA survey findings - draft 18th Edition of BS 7671

Anyway I have got some insider information. The DNO round here have been digging all the substation gardens up and sticking loads of earth rods in a sort of grid matrix and then chucking a load of concrete over the top. When I asked one of the contractors what it was all about he said "Oh it's something to do with reinforcing the PME network mate". So I reckon we won't have to be sticking earth rods in to existing PME installations. I do hope not, there will be a lot of water/gas/leccy cables having earth rods rammed through them.

The website to view and comment on the proposed 18th edition is farcical.

It seems to have been designed to make it as difficult as possible to locate and comment on a subject. Thats without the painfully slow loading times most have been experiencing.

I've just commented advising the removal of Part 8 as this is not concerned with safety and has no place in BS7671. It's already covered in Building Regulations.
This is the point that I've been making the regs are going way beyond your average electrical contractor/electrician as above new part 8 ,electric car charging etc. could be a separate British Standard on its own eg like emergency lighting ,fire alarms, portable appliance testing lighting protection to name but a few.It could be offered as a downloadable update to install in ring binder and then there's the cost how much is the regs book now £80+ I've got a paperback MK catalogue with as many pages (some with colour printing) for free.Another thing how long until it is out than a corrigendum is issued.

This is the point that I've been making the regs are going way beyond your average electrical contractor/electrician as above new part 8 ,electric car charging etc. could be a separate British Standard on its own eg like emergency lighting ,fire alarms, portable appliance testing lighting protection to name but a few.It could be offered as a downloadable update to install in ring binder and then there's the cost how much is the regs book now £80+ I've got a paperback MK catalogue with as many pages (some with colour printing) for free.Another thing how long until it is out than a corrigendum is issued.
Exactly. £80+, then there is the OSG, that's another £35. I will have shelled out more than £450 in the last 6 years for reg's books it completely ridiculous.

Well if we keep bending over and taking it then they'll keep doing it.

Needs a significant number of sparks to say enough is enough to make them change. Any ideas anyone?

I'm happy to pay the costs involved every few years in changing a few pages and adding them to a ring binder. Should be less than a tenner!?

That's without mentioning the waste of paper which is mildly outrageous.

Well if we keep bending over and taking it then they'll keep doing it.

Needs a significant number of sparks to say enough is enough to make them change. Any ideas anyone?

I'm happy to pay the costs involved every few years in changing a few pages and adding them to a ring binder. Should be less than a tenner!?

That's without mentioning the waste of paper which is mildly outrageous.
Do we even need a hard copy these days anyway? Why can't they just provide an electronic version which is easily to download and update. If any dinosaurs needed a hard copy they could have it printed and bound for less than it costs to buy both books. Make it easier to find stuff in the damned thing anyway.

Reply to 18th Edition .................... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net