Discuss 1mm cpc in ring mains in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nrbspark

Hi guys my local authority have asked me to carry out some PIR's on some properties with regards to upgrading them to 17th edition. I suspect that the rings will be 2.5 t+e and will have a 1mm cpc, if left will the properties comply with a 1mm cpc using a 32 A mcb (obviously RCD protected) or will the mcb require downgrading ? Any help is appreciated ty

Check the Part P Document. its only a problem when protection is by a 30Amp Re-Wireable fuse. So long as they are MCB and RCD protected, as mentioned in other posts, its a code 4

It will be a code 4.....doesnt comply with Bs 7671.....you just need to record the defect but it will not on it's own result in a unsatisfactory.

Company I once worked for the QS sent the sheets back saying I could not say the the installation was satisfactory as Code 4's had been noted on test sheet so had to change it to unstatisfactory.

Last edited:
Company I once worked for the QS sent the sheets back saying I could not say the the installation was satisfactory as Code 4's had been noted on test sheet so had to change it to unstatisfactory.

That is strange, we were told on the 2391 course code 4's were not always Unsatisfactory, for example, the old green earth sleeving is a code 4, but you certainly wouldn't go around changing it all to green and yellow just to get a satisfactory on a PIR

2.5 t/e cpc went from 1.0 to 1.5 with the 15th edition which was around 1990 if I recall so only 20ish years.
A code 4 is a departure from the current regulations but does not imply the installation is unsafe therefore a code 4 cannot result in an unsatisfactory. If you consder the defect compromises the safety of the installation you must apply a code 1 or 2 and give an unsatisfactory verdict.

Reply to 1mm cpc in ring mains in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net