Discuss 1mm T&E on a 16A MCB - doesn't look or feel right! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Doing an EICR, one circuit described as Central Heating with 1 mm T&E cable connected but on a 16A MCB. When I look closer it appears an Immersion heater has been tagged onto the circuit!

I've not been able to ascertain the cable route and its installation method. This is a single storey extension, no loft space.

If I use Ref C then 1mm is OK (just). There is no signs of overheating at either end of the cable, insulation measurements are good. The immersion is probably seldom used (if at all) because of a boiler in use.

I guess I can't give it an Observation unless I chose another installation method.

Any comments/advice?

If it's only feeding a central heating system then if it's connected through a switch fused spur the cable on the load side will be fused down to 3amps hopefully.
It will never pull 16amps so overload protection can be omitted plus the 3amp fuse will provide protection to the outgoing cable to the boiler.
If it's powering an immersion heater than yeah , wouldn't be happy with 16amp mcb feeding 1mm.
Cable is rated to 16amps clipped direct tho.

Think the norm is installing 2.5mm from db on 16amp mcb through a double pole switch and 1.5mm heat resistant flex out into immersion element

To be fair as well a typical immersion heater is 3000 watts so pulls 13amps.
The 16amp mcb won't need to provide overload protection to a fixed load so will only need to protect the cable for fault protection purposes.

I know I shouldn't be worrying about a solution, but the easiest way to resolve is to put the immersion on the ring! I do realise that its not recommended (not prohibited though) but as its not used much (if at all) I think this should be OK.

Table 52.3 in bs 7671 does say that power circuits are to be wired in 1.5mm as a minimum or for a specific appliance is specified by the product standard so depends on manufacturers instructions as well

Reply to 1mm T&E on a 16A MCB - doesn't look or feel right! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net