Discuss 1st fix boxes in old brickwork in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi guys. First post here so any help would be appreciated.

Simply. Has anyone got any ideas or recommendations for mounting metal knockout boxes into old brickwork?

I’m thinking of using expanding foam to get the box level, flush and secure as the old brickwork and mortor is crumbling away on one of my jobs.

Does anyone have a better product of solution?

Dont use expanding foam.

Make a mix up of plaster bonding coat, and throw a little bit of cement powder in to the mix.
Set your box square in the brickwork snuggled in the cement/plaster mix (don’t forget the water!)..
That mix will set in half an hour. Once it’s rock hard, run a 6mm masonry drill through a couple of the back holes and secure with wall plugs and screws.
Sorted.

Gripfill! Dod on the back, press into place, wedge with wee bits of wood or plastic til it sets. Bombproof!
Gripfill Adhesive 350ml - https://www.screwflix..com/p/gripfill-adhesive-350ml/10261?tc=JA6&ds_kid=92700023141675590&ds_rl=1249484&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuO20x62m2gIVz7DtCh1MlgBWEAQYASABEgJgQfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKvsrc2tptoCFUMC0wod8PkJqQ

Hammer and bolster, piece of ----, jeeeez basic install stuff the next question will be routing cables behind skirting boards ;o)))))

Quick drying cement, Butter the back and sides and put it in. Knock it up so it's semi dry. once set drill, plug and screw the box.
Wasn’t that what Wile E Coyote used against the roadrunner - made by ACME as I recall.
Acronym for A Company that Makes Everything if you didn’t know!

back on topic.

knock a brick out. fill hole with whatever you preder. xpany foam, plaster, dot & dab snot. get apprentice to sick fingers either side of box till it sets. chop off fingers. sorted. :p:p:p:p:eek::eek:

Reply to 1st fix boxes in old brickwork in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock