Discuss 1st year training coming to an end what next?!!? Please help... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Been a member for nearly a year now reading post but now i need some advise if possible.

I started my full time electrician job last September and started a college course December so i am coming to the end of city & guilds level 2 diploma in electrical installations 2365. When i took this course i was under the impression that i would need to complete this and then level 3 as well as the 17th edition to become qualified but after speaking to a number of people they are telling me that NVQ route/ AM2 would be the better option. I believed that the city and guilds route would be the best as they are a well known name but have i done the wrong thing? Everyone i talk to has a different opinion.

Could anyone guide me in the right direction, i know that getting qualified takes time i just want to make sure that i am taking the best route possible.

Thanks in advance

Mike :):):)

As has been said, the 2365 is known as the adult trainee route. You do the 2365 L2 then the 2365 L3, and then after those you go on to do the 2357 (NVQ) L3 with AM2.

The other option is just to do the 2357 from the off but both routes take about the same amount of time and will have you arrive at the same place. So, to answer your question of "What's next?" Continue with the 2365, doing the L3. After that (or even part way through it) sign up for the NVQ. To give you an idea of costs:

2365 L2 ~£1500 with local college
2365 L3 ~£3300 with local college
2357 L3 ~£1200 with online training provider including AM2

Thanks guy starting to understand a bit more am I right in saying that the nvq and am2 are not another college course as such but a portfolio of work that you have carried out? If that is the case would it be possible to do the nvq/ am2 whilst doing level 3 2365?

High tower : Thanks for your info so far you have said use a training center for the nvq and am2 is that because they offer it cheaper than colleges?

Thanks guy starting to understand a bit more am I right in saying that the nvq and am2 are not another college course as such but a portfolio of work that you have carried out? If that is the case would it be possible to do the nvq/ am2 whilst doing level 3 2365?

High tower : Thanks for your info so far you have said use a training center for the nvq and am2 is that because they offer it cheaper than colleges?

It's not college as such, as it's work based training so as you say through a portfolio. However, you will need to attend college for some aspects such as the AM2.

As for online, I wouldn't say it's cheaper - the company I've looked at offer various packages, the 'silver' is usually about the same level that college offers and about the same price. The reason I've looked at doing it online is two-fold. Firstly some companies offer remote observations via video calling - since I'm mad busy this would suit me so much better. Secondly, the third-party our local college uses for the NVQ side of things seems to be as much use as a not-very-useful-thing. Personally, I don't think I'd have time to undertake the NVQ now at the same time as working full-time, night college, and then working on the side. So for me, I'll probably get the 2365 L3 signed off and then worry about the NVQ side of things afterwards.

Reply to 1st year training coming to an end what next?!!? Please help... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net