Discuss 2 amp socket woes in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jameo

Hey there,

I tried posting this in the DIY forum but I'm unable to do so for some reason.

I've just moved into a new house where there are 2amp sockets in all the bedrooms. I purchased a bedside table lamp and grabbed a 2amp plug to connect it to that circuit. The 2amp plugs don't fully fit the sockets, they go in fine but then spring back about 1mm.

In my bedroom there are two dimmer switches - one controls the main set of downlighters, the other controls the 2amp plugs. However, switching this on does nothing to the lamp. Testing the lamp in other rooms with 2amp sockets is successful(ish) - one room works fine, in the other, it only works if I push the plug in whilst it's on. The only difference between my room and the others is the dimmer - the other two rooms have standard switches.

I've tested both the wired plug and another unwired 2amp plug in the sockets and neither of them fit properly so it's not my wiring that's the problem. I'm assuming the dimmer switch is playing a part in the lamp not working but it still doesn't answer why not and why the plugs don't fit the sockets.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

James

If the plugs are springing back out of the sockets then it suggests that the sockets have reached the end of their useable lifespan. Having the sockets replaced for you should fix that.

Dimmers have a minimum load requirement to operate correctly, or it may have also stopped working.
Also note that different dimmers can operate in different ways, some push to switch on whilst others twist.

Get the electrician to check this out whilst he is replacing the faulty sockets

Hey Dave,

Thanks for your help. Seems a tad odd that the sockets are dead. The house was rewired fairly recently so these aren't oldschool sockets, they're only a few years old.

It's a double dimmer (or whatever the technical term is!) and the right one controls the main lights, that pushes in to switch on and twists to control brightness. The left one must control the 2amp sockets and follows the same logic but the switch clicks as you rotate it. Is there any way of me testing the sockets and dimmer rather than splashing out on a spark to replace something that might be fine?

Cheers,

Jameo

If the plugs won't stay in the sockets on their own but do in other sockets then the sockets are goosed!

It's possible that a previous occupier has damaged the sockets by trying to insert unsuitable plugs, or that your plugs are not properly sized to BS546. Are they of reputable make?

Bought them from B&Q today. Doesn't say BS546 on them, simply '2 amp round pin plug white'.

B&Q 2A 3 Pin Plug | Departments | DIY at B&Q > yup, BS546. No reason why these shouldn't work. I'm not disagreeing with Dave at all, I just find it odd that all of the plugs don't fully fit any of the sockets in the house. Even on sockets where I have to hold it in they work in other rooms. Is there any easy way of testing a dimmer switch?

if you don't have test gear, easiest way is to temporarily replace dimmer/s with bog standard rocker switch/es. then if the lights work, you've narrowed it down.

Good call. I'll give that a go.

Got a picture of the socket. It's not actually as bad as I thought. I can't imagine this would stop the electricity would it?

http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/FHJaGyP.jpg

if you don't have test gear, easiest way is to temporarily replace dimmer/s with bog standard rocker switch/es. then if the lights work, you've narrowed it down.

If he doesn't have test gear then he cannot safely isolate the supply to do this.

I've got a non-contact tester so I can make sure it's isolated.

No you can't! A non contact tester is not a reliable means of proving isolation, certainly not worth risking your own death on!

As a general rule if a non contact detector lights up then the supply is almost certainly live (or a thunderstorm is nearby etc)
Whereas if a non contact detector does not light up it might be broken, or the supply might be live or it might be dead (maybe there are no thunderstorms nearby)

No you can't! A non contact tester is not a reliable means of proving isolation, certainly not worth risking your own death on!

As a general rule if a non contact detector lights up then the supply is almost certainly live (or a thunderstorm is nearby etc)
Whereas if a non contact detector does not light up it might be broken, or the supply might be live or it might be dead (maybe there are no thunderstorms nearby)

As Dave said don't even think about using a non contact voltage pen for safe isolation.t w

Get an electrician to check/change the sockets before you hurt/kill yourself or someone else.

I can’t understand electricians giving advice to a DIYer.

If he doesn't have test gear then he cannot safely isolate the supply to do this.

He can isolate the supply at the main switch. I am not condoning non qualified/skill persons from doing electrical work. But changing an outlet like for like is not something that requires part p registration, its non notifiable.

We can't expect people to pay an electrician for simply changing a socket. I service my own car simply because i won't pay a qualified person to do something so simple and i don't see this as being any different.

We can't expect people to pay an electrician for simply changing a socket. I service my own car simply because i won't pay a qualified person to do something so simple and i don't see this as being any different.

I have to say I agree with this. I planned on killing the circuit via the fuse board and using the non-contact tester to ensure it's dead. I've always tested it on a live cable first to ensure it's working but I understand it's not the most reliable of tools.

That said it's good that trained sparks are giving good safety advice - it's not that I don't appreciate it I'm just being cheap and feel like swapping a dimmer for a standard switch is a fairly straightforward job.

Reply to 2 amp socket woes in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock