Discuss 2 Circuits, 1 MCB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DanDobson

Good evening all,

I get a decent amount of work from a kitchen company and do all the electrical work for them.
As expected each one has its challenges, but this job i've looked at today has a kitchen ring on a 32Amp MCB, and its own cooker circuit on a 32Amp MCB.

Once I isolated the cooker circuit to start making the necessary changes, when I tested I am still getting 150v between live and neutral? does anyone know why this would be?
I have used my old and new Fluke meters and my martindale volt meter to check one or other wasn't failing.

With all the issues ive come across in kitchen re-wires, I haven't had this yet.

Any help and ideas would be much appreciated

Dan

When you say isolated do you mean just turning off the cooker circuit MCB ? If so I know this is unlikely but test on the outgoing terminal and see if the voltage is there, may just be the MCB not breaking properly ? Or remove the live from the MCB and test again at the other end of the circuit.

my old and new Fluke meters and my martindale volt meter

Are any of these approved voltage indicators?

A voltage reading from a conductor that is supposed to be isolated (but is being made live by leakage) is rather meaningless as the actual voltage you read will depend on the meter's input impedance. Hence the importance of choosing the right test device...

When you say isolated do you mean just turning off the cooker circuit MCB ? If so I know this is unlikely but test on the outgoing terminal and see if the voltage is there, may just be the MCB not breaking properly ? Or remove the live from the MCB and test again at the other end of the circuit.

It could be an mcb that's been covered in building carp and fouled up as you say, it wouldn't be unknown.

I opened the thread thinking we were going to go through the whole definition of a circuit debacle again.
But I was pleasantly surprised to see that actual we are going to go through the whole capacitive coupling thing again instead!

Good evening all,

I get a decent amount of work from a kitchen company and do all the electrical work for them.
As expected each one has its challenges, but this job i've looked at today has a kitchen ring on a 32Amp MCB, and its own cooker circuit on a 32Amp MCB.

Once I isolated the cooker circuit to start making the necessary changes, when I tested I am still getting 150v between live and neutral? does anyone know why this would be?
I have used my old and new Fluke meters and my martindale volt meter to check one or other wasn't failing.

With all the issues ive come across in kitchen re-wires, I haven't had this yet.

Dan

You could always try verifying the integrity of the circuit by standard testing proceedures.

Many thanks for help guys, was indeed a faulty breaker not breaking properly.

Apologies for the thread title, ive had loads of issues to sort in this house before I could actually start work on the kitchen and that was one of them. For some reason I was thinking of something different while writing the title.

I think I need an early night, thank god its friday.

Kind Regards

Dan

Good evening all,

Dan
Yes I have a very good idea, have you tested between cores with 500 volts? have you also tested continuity ? have you confirmed there are no joint boxes sending cables elsewhere off the main ring? lets get back to basics.

Yes I have a very good idea, have you tested between cores with 500 volts? have you also tested continuity ? have you confirmed there are no joint boxes sending cables elsewhere off the main ring? lets get back to basics.

Lets get back to basics...? is there a need for that comment, ive sorted the issue with help from other users as I stated above... basically!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think MDJ had overlooked the posts where you said it was all resolved when he posted this, it wasn't posted in any negative context its often a term used when the OP is getting muddled or confused with a problem.

As the original query is resolved I'll close the thread as there is no ongoing discussion taking place.

Reply to 2 Circuits, 1 MCB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock