Discuss 2 circuits in one! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lectricmonks

I have just lifted the floorboards in my 200 year old property intending to add a new light and switch to my loft. However I have noticed that the downstairs lighting circuit and first floor circuit seem to be connected. I have to switch off both RCBs to switch off the power.

I haven't a clue where this connection results from so is it a problem?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum lectricmonks from the staff :)

If the lighting is indeed as you say then yes this is a issue and you should get an Electrician to confirm and make safe the situation, are you sure the circuits are not divided over 2 floors where the stairwell light might be on the downstairs circuit because of the switching at top and bottom.

When you switch off either lighting circuit on its own do you lose any lights or is it as you suggest only when both are off?

Last edited:
If I switch off one circuit it makes no difference and it all remains live, so the only way I can isolate one is to turn both off.

Thanks.

Yes there is a problem that needs fixing.

I've seen this type of fault when someone has messed up the connections at a hall/stairs switch that has both the up and down lighting circuits in the same mounting box.

The easiest way to resolve the would be put both circuits into one MCB, tie them together and leave an appropriate durable label on the CU to explain. It's possibly not the best way to fix it but would be the quickest fix.

Thanks. I did think about doing that if I can't fix it. It seems possible that Sid has highlighted a possible cause. Some years ago I did take one light out and blank it off by joining the wires rather than put it through the bulb fitting. I did forget about that, so that may be the cause. Thanks for all your responses.

Thanks SJD. Your suggestion was spot on! I checked the wires in the switch box and changed over the ground floor and first floor lives and hey presto!

You saved me a lot of time and money. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 2 circuits in one! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock