Discuss 2 external lighting circuits fed through 1 SWA cable in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

They are specifically a walk way through the grounds of a private school. They are opting for EM lighting, but there is no specific requirement for them.

Thank you Westy, that has cleared some details up.

If you are using four core SWA or five if one circuit has P/L how are you going to terminate at each bollard? Having thought about it I would run two SWA's one for each circuit then safe isolation is not a problem either.

He cannot run them in one cable anyhow, but I agree segregating them within the bollard will be an issue.

I personally agree that self contained is a better option.

For me I wanted clarification in regards to the idea as I am not the one who is coming up with the idea.
Is the person coming up with the ideas aware of all the options?

I work with some "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" types and often getting the job done correctly is an excersise in planting the seeds of the correct way in their head and letting them come up with the correct way.

As Westy said a 'maintained' self contained EM bollard is the way to go. This way you can get away with a three core and earth SWA.

There is so much wrong here.

Firstly if you are using a CBS then this will be either 24/50/110v. If the bollards are 230v how do you propose to manage this?

Secondly as has been mentioned a CBS wiring needs to be segregated which clearly cannot be achieved if they are the same cable.

Thirdly as the installer you will need to agree the design. The defence of ‘it was designed by someone else’ does not wash with emergency lighting or fire alarm systems. The installer is equally as responsible.

If the client is insistant on a central system then they need to look at installing a static inverter system whichnis then 230v. Segregation will still apply and the cable will need to be fire resistant to whatever the FRA requires. Generally FP600 would be fine in your scenario.

A central battery system will need much more lighting also to achieve the required lighting levels which, if an escape route in a school will likely need to be 3 Lux along the centre line of the escape route. A static inverter will be an increased up front cost but cheaper in the long run as single point emergency lights need there batteries changed every four years. There will be no EBLF drop either.

There will need to be daily checks on a static inverter or battery system.

Reply to 2 external lighting circuits fed through 1 SWA cable in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock