Discuss 2 gang converted socket with extension lead in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi, hopefully this is the right part of the forum. as the title suggests;
I recently converted a 1 gang socket into 2 gang with a converter. i then have a TV plugged in one socket and a 5 gang extension lead in the other with 3 items plugged into that.

Recently ive been having an issue where my RCD unit trips which is leading me to wonder is it this thats giving me issues? I made the 2 gang conversion a lot longer before the unit started tripping.

Could it be the issue?
I do have an engineer coming out soon to replace my whole RCD unit as its rather old and doesnt effectively "trip" when something blows or overloads in my house. but just for peace of mind really id like to know whats going on

thanks in advance

It could, but probably isn't the problem if you did a good job of it.
You mention replacing the "RCD unit as its rather old and doesnt effectively "trip" when something blows or overloads."
RCDs do not trip on overloads or on some types of "blows" and it worries me that you have experienced many of them.
I suggest, rather than summarily replacing it, having it and the rest of the installation tested.

Thanks for replying. This does out my mind at ease somewhat.
I have recently had a health check on every socket and switch which turned out to be fine... the RCD unit was also checked for any issues bit was all fine apart from the main RCD(?) In the unit was a bit sensitive (17 was the limit if that makes sense). it's a mystery as this happens very irregularly making it harder for me to try and "fault find" the root cause... It happens either middle of the day with the house in full use or (as it literally has done now) in the middle of the night with everything off or mostly unplugged.
It lets me flip the switch back on no issues but it just becomes a waiting game until I happens again... Can be either a few days of not happening or can be multiple times in one day

I would advise you to keep a fairly detailed diary if you will of when it trips and if possible what was running at the time. Humans are great at spotting visual patterns.

If the 17 you refer to is the result of a ramp test on the RCD with everything disconnected, then the RCD is tripping way too early and there may not actually be any fault at all, just cumulative leakage (which is caused by all sorts of devices).

Thanks for replying. This does out my mind at ease somewhat.
I have recently had a health check on every socket and switch which turned out to be fine... the RCD unit was also checked for any issues bit was all fine apart from the main RCD(?) In the unit was a bit sensitive (17 was the limit if that makes sense). it's a mystery as this happens very irregularly making it harder for me to try and "fault find" the root cause... It happens either middle of the day with the house in full use or (as it literally has done now) in the middle of the night with everything off or mostly unplugged.
It lets me flip the switch back on no issues but it just becomes a waiting game until I happens again... Can be either a few days of not happening or can be multiple times in one day
Hi Edward, what did this "health check" consist of exactly, did you receive any paperwork in the form of an EICR Electrical Installation Condition Report from the people that did the check?
Just changing an item you think may be a problem is not the best way to go, the equipment you have plugged into the extension lead, what does that consist of? could be one of these items is the one causing the RCD to trip, if the Health check you had done, was done properly this should have highlighted any lurking problems with your electrical installation, please let the Forum know what the outcome is, an interesting post.

What do you mean by “I made the 2 gang conversion a lot longer....”
Have you maybe nicked a cable with the fixing screw?

If you’re having rcd problems through the a day and night, it may be a permanently connected appliance. Boiler, fridge, even extension leads.
Appliances don’t have to be switched on at the wall to cause an rcd trip, just plugged in.

Thanks both.
Yes the 17, was from a ramp test and is exactly what the engineer said coupled with my units health and age in general hence the replacement.
We did discuss the general leakage too as my first initial thoughts were that it was my laptop charger... Quit a powerful one so may have been from that. Alas, having it unplugged for a few days I still had the same issue...
I think I will attempt a diary. Problem is I have quite a full use household if you catch my drift.. a lot plugged in which I could do without being unplugged until the random moment it trips again!

As for the health check - not exactly. It was done by British G. I had another issue which I won't get into but in short when I moved in I found out I had an incorrectly set up circuit/loop which to find, meant every single socket and switch was tested in the house. To find out where the fault was.

For clarification in the extension lead (one of those surge protection extension leads too):
Sky Q box
Xbox/PS4 (only one In use/switched on at one time)
That's it.

I will definitely keep you all posted and up to date. In usually OK with these sorts of things but this is just a mystery!
Thanks so far guys.

What do you mean by “I made the 2 gang conversion a lot longer....”
Have you maybe nicked a cable with the fixing screw?

If you’re having rcd problems through the a day and night, it may be a permanently connected appliance. Boiler, fridge, even extension leads.
Appliances don’t have to be switched on at the wall to cause an rcd trip, just plugged in.

Sorry.. poor wording on my part. Longer as in time frame. I did the conversion a long while before I started having these issues.
And thanks for clarifying that.. I did not know I thought the appliance had to be on.
What about the socket itself. I switch most off which I feel may be the cause.
It didn't happen for a few days until yesterday but for the life of me I can't remember what sequence of sockets or appliances I turned off...

If British Gas are suggesting a consumer unit upgrade I would seek a second opinion from a competent electrician. You need to find the cause of the tripping as a new consumer unit may well not resolve your issues.

Would it be worth me getting them out again to perform other tests? I have that home cover so if I'm paying for that of rather them get out and fix it as they should do.
The fact the ramp test showed it was "weak" with this 17 figure and that it doesn't behave as I'd assume a RCD unit would, when it trips its always the main RCD and never one of the individual loop RCDs. (Which i wish it did so I could easily identify where the actual issue sits at least.
I'm hoping the newer more competent unit will give me just this. As ive said in another post my house is very "connected" and I have a hell of a lot of stuff in use. And with a young family I can't have a lot unplugged etc without consequence!
I think I'll get them back out though. You're right, the issue I had then outthem out tk investigate is still happening and needs discovering

Would it be worth me getting them out again to perform other tests? I have that home cover so if I'm paying for that of rather them get out and fix it as they should do.
The fact the ramp test showed it was "weak" with this 17 figure and that it doesn't behave as I'd assume a RCD unit would, when it trips its always the main RCD and never one of the individual loop RCDs. (Which i wish it did so I could easily identify where the actual issue sits at least.
I'm hoping the newer more competent unit will give me just this. As ive said in another post my house is very "connected" and I have a hell of a lot of stuff in use. And with a young family I can't have a lot unplugged etc without consequence!
I think I'll get them back out though. You're right, the issue I had then outthem out tk investigate is still happening and needs discovering
I would take Westward 10s advice post 9, I have seen BGs health check on the electrical installation before.

1 thing that springs to mind is this:

if the RCD was tested with circuits connected to give a tripping current of 10mA, then it should be retested with the outgoing cables disconnected. if it then trips at, say, 25mA, that indicates that you have an earth leakage of 8mA on the circuits connected. add in some more leakage from PSUs, surge devices, etc., and that could take the RCD over the threshold.

if the RCD that trips is an upfront device, that indicates accumulative leakage, added up on several circuits.

I can manage Stockport if OP is stuck for someone.

Hmmm. You mention main RCD and individual circuit RCDs? Do you mean individual MCB?
A photograph of the board showing the switches and an explanation of what trips would let us understand better . As previously suggested

Hmmm. You mention main RCD and individual circuit RCDs? Do you mean individual MCB?
A photograph of the board showing the switches and an explanation of what trips would let us understand better . As previously suggested
Good call LS

For clarification in the extension lead (one of those surge protection extension leads too):
Sky Q box
Xbox/PS4 (only one In use/switched on at one time)
That's it.

Oh dear. Those surge protection extension leads are prone to randomly trip RCDs. They are not really required in the UK and are often "sold" using scare tactics. Suggest you swop it for a normal one and see how it goes.

Reply to 2 gang converted socket with extension lead in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock