Discuss 2 hardwired thermostats in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ross1

-
Reaction score
A thermo stat upstairs wired back to boiler and a thermostat downstairs wired back to boiler? Why would this be. Should it not be the up and down be wired in series back to boiler?

I dont think either way would be worth doing. Is it on a combi boiler ? At the minute one would just over ride the other. And if in series if one was not calling for heat the other would not work.

If zone valves were fitted they would shut down part of the heating circuit,up or down thereby acheiving differing temperatures in different areas

You may heave more than one heating zone i.e, up & down.

You would be able to confirm this (or not) by looking to see how many zone valves (or not) are present.

They could be installed so that the heating can be called if either stat falls below the set temperature. its not common practice, but no harm in having two or more stats.

As others have stated, series would require both to call for heat before the boiler would fire up (assuming they are connected to same terminals in bolier).

A thermo stat upstairs wired back to boiler and a thermostat downstairs wired back to boiler? Why would this be. Should it not be the up and down be wired in series back to boiler?

Definitely should not be wired in series.

I would wire them to two zone valves - one for upstairs & one for downstairs and maybe an additional separate timer for the upstairs zone so that it only operates in the evening to warm the bedrooms in time for going to bed & is off during the day.

The micro switches on the zone valves would fire the boiler.

Reply to 2 hardwired thermostats in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net