Discuss 2 Phase Projection welder in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a job to provide power to a 2 phase 140A projection welder. The run is 35M. According to the regs i would need a 35mm cable to run the 140A. However with it being short bursts of power can i get away with a smaller CSA?
Anyone have experience with these i would love some advice.
Thanks in advance

I have a job to provide power to a 2 phase 140A projection welder. The run is 35M. According to the regs i would need a 35mm cable to run the 140A. However with it being short bursts of power can i get away with a smaller CSA?
Anyone have experience with these i would love some advice.
Thanks in advance
When you say 140A is that the output of the welder?
Because if it is then that is not a particularly powerful welder and the supply current would be in general quite low. For example you can run a basic single phase 140A mig welder off a 13A plug top.

Hi,the "regs" do not tell you what cable you require,this is determined using calculation,and the manufacturers information with regard to your specific equipment.

The regs may tell you appropriate methods and minimum standards,but they would not be your initial guide,in this instance.

The operation of the equipment in "short bursts",will not allow reduction in any calculated conductor size. Other factors may be for consideration,such as for instance,Radio Interference.

You wouldn't reduce the calculated size of a cable to a 8Kw shower,just because the owner was a leprechaun...

Net - it be lovely if everyone provided such details but it is rarely the case, I saved a company £1500 bcause China had advised on the worse case longest run of a average large UK warehouse as this so called advice just to protect their arses,I calculated the existing old 25mm 4core supply would be sufficient which was against the suggested 70mm going by their stated requirements..... statute law and reality don't usually compliment each other through my experience.

Reply to 2 Phase Projection welder in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net