Discuss 2 Quick Questions to save me finding my book. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

ELIMINATOR GUY

Hi Guys, just need to double check a couple of things here as my 17th is buried in the shed somewere and I have lent my OSG to someone who is at collage...

1. What is the min distance in mm a socket or cooker point must be from both cooker and sink ?

2. On a double socket there are 2 earth terminals on the back of the socket, I have always put both together into one terminal, but a plumber with part "P" just told your not allowed to do that and must have one earth in each earth terminal (we are talking standard ring in 2.5 twin&earth) ? Have I overlooked a reg here or something coz I have never heard that before in the last 30years.

Cheers

Eliminator

Although I don't have the BRB or OSG to hand I believe it is

1. 300mm is advised

2. Depends if the circuit has a high integrity earth then a separate CPC to each terminal, but if just domestic where no or only a couple of earth leakage items (Computers etc) are used then your method is perfectly acceptable, as long as there is continuity between them both.

Off the top of my head as the books are in the van and it's raining...

1. Recommended 300mm from cooker, not sure about the sink zone.

2. Double protective conductors only required for use when CPC current is expected to be over 10mA in normal service. i.e. high integrity system.

Thanks guys, I thought is was 300mm, the monkey with the granade was saying that this could be reduced to 150mm, mind you it is the same bloke that is fitting water heaters and said that I would have to supply him 2 x 2.5 twin&earths with the 13amp fused spur on the end of each so he could power up the 2 x 3k elements with an eco7 timer system (coz it had a boost button)

Oh how I laughed when I informed him that the 2 are never on at the same time ! and he fit's the things, I even had to phone the manuf to confirm it, lol

thanks guys

Thanks guys, I thought is was 300mm, the monkey with the granade was saying that this could be reduced to 150mm, mind you it is the same bloke that is fitting water heaters and said that I would have to supply him 2 x 2.5 twin&earths with the 13amp fused spur on the end of each so he could power up the 2 x 3k elements with an eco7 timer system (coz it had a boost button)

Oh how I laughed when I informed him that the 2 are never on at the same time ! and he fit's the things, I even had to phone the manuf to confirm it, lol

thanks guys

It's hard work working with idiots

My 17[SUP]th[/SUP] edition is still sat on the shelf of the local book shop. I’m not spending money when I’ve got idiots on the internet that will read the book for me.

i think the plumber has done part p stands for PLUMBING!! stick to your own methods if you split the earths your more likely to end up with a loose earth and no continuity

Reply to 2 Quick Questions to save me finding my book. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock