Discuss 2 RCD's in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

eagleeye

Hi guys I was just thinking about what someone put about a question I asked a couple of days ago. I asked about putting an RCD proceted fused spur on a ring main to feed an outside light. they said the RCD fused spur will be fine as long as its not protected by another RCD on the cu. My question is, Can anyone tell me what would happen if it was connected up like this using 2 RCD's ? I cant see it being dangerous or anything but maybe im wrong ?

sorry i know its me being very dumb but what do you mean by "no discrimination between the 2 if they were both 30mA" would they not work ?

Hi,i posted it.I said it was ok to use the RCD spur as long as the circuit wasn't RCD protected.If the circuit is RCD protected,just use a normal spur.

sorry i know its me being very dumb but what do you mean by "no discrimination between the 2 if they were both 30mA" would they not work ?
They would work,but both RCD's would trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Discrimination(in this case) is having the rcd downstream (fusespur) tripping under fault condition before a rcd upstream trips(fuseboard )if not this would cause nuisance tripping where other items or circuits are lost but it leads to confusion too.
2 rcds are allowed when discrimination is acheived either by having a larger mA rating upstream device or having a time delay rcd upstream if they were rated the same but reg's on tripping times and mA values still need to be achieved in either of these examples.

Last edited:

Reply to 2 RCD's in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

As I've mainly done site work and moved into domestic recently, I'm a bit rusty on stuff like this, but if I'm adding a loft PIV unit to an...
Replies
Views
I'm obviously still new and learning about what I can and cannot do, but essentially I want to install an EVSE at my own house for an electric...
Replies
Views
Hello! I've been racking my brain this evening about some RCD selections. I've been doing some work for a solar installer, and they've asked me...
Replies
Views
Hi all Called to do an EICR on a property 4 studio flats / bedsits within a single house. The t&e sub main to each flat runs within the fabric of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just a quick one regarding the need for RCD protection for socket outlets rated up to and including 32A. I have been tasked to install...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock