Discuss 2 singles or a double in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sparks1234

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all,
Somebody has said to me that if you put a double socket in a base unit for a washing machine and tumble dryer this is against regulations and that it should be 2 single sockets because of the potential loading, before anyone shouts it has nothing to do with being directly next to the machines, we are only talking about the loading
Cheers

Evening all,
Somebody has said to me that if you put a double socket in a base unit for a washing machine and tumble dryer this is against regulations and that it should be 2 single sockets because of the potential loading, before anyone shouts it has nothing to do with being directly next to the machines, we are only talking about the loading
Cheers

That's 2 quite different questions .....

1. what regulations - certainly not BS 7671?
2. good practice maybe ?

Evening all,
Cheers
The British Standard for both single and double sockets requires them to be rated at 20A.
Some manufacturer’s rate their double sockets at 26A.
However if we go by the standards, connecting two appliances with a combined load greater than 20A would be deemed as overloading the double socket.

Evening all,
Cheers
Deleted, don't know what to say

The British Standard for both single and double sockets requires them to be rated at 20A.
Some manufacturer’s rate their double sockets at 26A.
However if we go by the standards, connecting two appliances with a combined load greater than 20A would be deemed as overloading the double socket.
A single socket outlet is only rated to 13A (not 20A). A double socket outlet is rated for 20A (with 14A and 6A connected through it for an hour).

A single socket outlet is only rated to 13A (not 20A). A double socket outlet is rated for 20A (with 14A and 6A connected through it for an hour).

Agreed, although I thought it was 13A + 7A
No - I think the idea behind 14A is that it is a moderate overload.

Correct, just checked

BS1363-2:1995 requires for double socket outlets that both socket outlets have loads applied via test plugs, 1 test plug having a load of 14 amps whilst the other has a load of 6 amps, making a total load of 20 amps on the cable supplying the double socket outlet. The double socket outlet is then subjected to this loading for a minimum continuous period of 4 hours or longer until stability is reached with a maximum duration of 8 hours (stability being taken as less than 1 degC rise within 1 h). The test is passed if neither the terminals / terminations, nor the accessible external surface, increase in temperature by more than 52 degC.

Definitely some confusion over socket ratings! As someone said above, the whole ring circuit load is NOT passing through the single 13A socket outlet - the ingoing and outgoing cables are merely connected together in the terminals.

Reply to 2 singles or a double in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net