Discuss 2 speed hood fan wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hope someone can help
I’ve removed a 2 speed extractor motor from cooker hood with 4 cables: white, blue, black and orange.
Unfortunately the replacement motors cables are white, black, brown and red.
Can anyone advice on how to wire the new motor in

Is there no wiring information with the new motor?

If you know the wiring of the old motor ie which wire is common, low speed, and hi speed then you can usually figure out the windings of a new motor by testing the resistance between the various wires. The lower the resistance when measured with respect to the common, the higher the speed.

Thanks
Unfortunately I’m not sure I can work out which does what
I was hoping 2 or 3 of the wires were going to be fairly standard and then the final one would be by deduction

Unfortunately there's no reliable standard for the wiring colours. The Americans sometimes use white for common and I can't remember their usual colours for the various speeds (ASHRAE or NEMA standards). The europeans have another colour code they sometimes use (but not always) and the Chinese usually use whatever colours take their fancy on the particular day.

I'd go back to the supplier and demand a wiring diagram if I were you.

Sometimes in the installation manual, there is an internal wiring diagram. If you don't have it maybe google it. What is the make and modal by the way?

Thanks for your suggestions
It’s a 135w motor that fits in a howdens Lamona extractor hood
I will contact the supplier....as you say....surely they will be aware of the wiring colour change
Thanks

SPARES2GO 135W Motor Fan Unit for LAMONA Howdens Cooker Hood Clockwise RH Directional

• 135W Complete Motor, Connectors and Fan Housing Unit made for SPARES2GO to fit Lamona Cooker Hood / Extractor Vent
  • Fits models: All models of Lamona cooker hood / kitchen vent extractor fan with standard specifications as per this listing.
  • Specifications: Power 135W / 230V -- Clockwise Right Hand Directional Rotation -- 3 Speed motor wiring (RED = Neutral, BLACK - Live (speed 1), WHITE = Live (speed 2), BROWN = Live (speed 3) -- Case diameter: 185mm -- Diameter of fan wheel: 140mm -- Overall depth: 100mm -- Fan wheel depth: 55mm -- Connector cable length: 40mm
  • Premium quality, fully compatible complete replacement motor unit

Reply to 2 speed hood fan wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock