Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss 2 speed Pole changing motor Circuit 1.5kw in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. joel89

joel89 Regular EF Member

Hi all, I have got to build a small panel for a overhead crane long travel drive motors (Old Street crane) The motor is is a 2 speed pole changing motor 750rpm and 1500rpm it needs both slow and fast speed and it also has a link between across 1ph of the slow and fast winding in the motor terminal boxes.

I am guessing this isnt a standard 4 contactor method (slow, fast, fwd, rev) I have been told I may need a pole changing contactor? anybody got any drawings of a reversing pole changing circuit?

Cheers

2. cliffed

cliffed Regular EF Member

Sounds interesting,go to kenwood motors site,there are some good ideas there.
    At the moment trying to find 2 speed controller for a 4 pole motor.

3. Andy-1960

Andy-1960 Electrician's Arms

I believe this is called a Dahlander starter, a few years since I've done one of these!

29BDDC72-81F2-49B6-A187-D39F684B7F75-910-000002E62E204618.gif

38555669-7AE3-49D0-B48B-AEEFA95C3EAC-910-000002E63D9A23B4.gif

4. joel89

joel89 Regular EF Member

thats good i need reversing too, i would imagine i could add FWD & REV contactors in before the mains then feed the other contactors? and that is a 6 wire mines five ive never come across this type of circuit before

5. Andy-1960

Andy-1960 Electrician's Arms

Yes you can put another pair of contactors upstream to reverse.

I used to do the starter above by putting K1 in the middle with K2 and K3 on either side, you can then put mechanical interlocks between K2 - K1 and K1 - K3.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  6. cliffed

cliffed Regular EF Member

Well done ,interesting stuff,love it

7. joel89

joel89 Regular EF Member

spoke to a crane electrician today, they use 5 wire to avoid using 4 contactors and 6 wires.

2 contactors fwd + rev and pole changing contactor 2 phase NO/NC. cheating way of doing it really