Discuss 2 spurs from a Junction Box....worried? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No because he has take what is surely 2 separate spurs from the same point on a RFC , see Appendix 15

Yes, he has. I can't see anything in appendix 15 that precludes this.

Appendix 15 is mainly concerned with what you put on the end of spurs as that's the point most people make a right pigs ear of. In that respect, he's complied fully, it just so happens that both spurs originate from a single point.

Appendix 15 is mainly concerned with what you put on the end of spurs as that's the point most people make a right pigs ear of. In that respect, he's complied fully, it just so happens that both spurs originate from a single point.

What about the part that states ""An unfused spur should feed one single or one twin socket-outlet only"... See my screen shot from the regs in post #8

What the OP has done equates to taking 2 spurs from a single point on a RC.
1 spur from a single point on a RFC or a socket on the RFC that is not a spur in it's own right, equates to 1 single or 1 double socket or a Switched fused spur, or an unfused switched spur.
Adding a spur to a ring final circuit - https://www.flameport.com/electric/socket_outlet_circuits/ring_spurs_socket.cs4

He's got two cables... one for each socket outlet, so each spur feeds only a twin socket outlet.
BUT it's taken from the same point on a RFC, two separate joint boxes would be OK providing they were MF joint boxes, a simple but salient point SC. He could have if he was clued up, taken a cable from the JB and fitted a Fused connection unit, and added as many extra sockets as he wanted within reason, the only restriction I can see us that he doesn't overload the 13 Amp fuse in the fused connection unit.

Last edited:
Is there a regulation that precludes taking two spurs (both of which comply with the guidance provide by appendix 15 - noting that appendix 15 is informative only)?

He's got two cables... one for each socket outlet, so each spur feeds only a twin socket outlet.

Just out of curiosity, with your thought above, where do you draw the line? Can the OP have 15 cables coming from a single point in the RFC going to a single/double socket?

Hi - as you've no test gear, the primary concern for me is whether you've properly re-established the RFC. This circuit relies on a good quality looped connection of conductors to ensure the 32A MCB will protect the cable. It is a poor design to have put the 2 spurs in close proximity, but whether that causes issues really depends upon the loads that are connected to the outlets.

Just out of curiosity, with your thought above, where do you draw the line? Can the OP have 15 cables coming from a single point in the RFC going to a single/double socket?
Spoon albeit that Appendix 15 is an informative appendix, its quite simple to follow the logic of the diagram, and comply with reg433.1

Last edited:

I might draw the line at the capacity of a junction box (by that I mean limited by the number of cables that can safely be terminated in it taking into account proper cable restraint and available terminal capacity).

Exceeding the capacity of the junction box makes it a fire risk.

In this instance, the OP doesn't appear to have breached the capacity of the junction box as the box in use will safely accommodate 4 cables of the correct size. If he'd squeezed three spurs in there, I'd be telling him he'd been stupid and should fix it.

There is also a consideration about the expected loading. If you did it in a kitchen and each spur was going to an appliance (dishwasher, washing machine, tumble drier for example), it would be a crazy thing to do as you'd be concentrating a lot of load in one place. In this case it's for a bedside table, so a lamp, alarm clock and maybe the occasional vacuum cleaner.

But if connecting multiple spurs to a single point on a ring final is against the regs, there will surely be regulation that precludes it.

So 15 no, two yes, 3 or more and I think I'd be looking to put the new socket outlets on the ring.

Unless I am misreading his opening post the junction box is incorporated into the ring final then two spurred sockets are connected from the junction box on their own separate radials, so aside from the joint he has employed I do not see an issue.

Unless I am misreading his opening post the junction box is incorporated into the ring final then two spurred sockets are connected from the junction box on their own separate radials, so aside from the joint he has employed I do not see an issue.
He will have broken an informative edit of BS7671 sorry to disagree mate.

Spoon albeit that Appendix 15 is an informative appendix, its quite simple to follow the logic of the diagram, and comply with reg433.1

This is what I was getting at mate. I agree with the diagram in App 15. showing 1 wire coming from 1 point in the RFC.
Otherwise it could be pretty much unlimited with sticking a junction box with wago terminal blocks in there.

If you disagree with Appendix 15 consult your Scheme's Technical Department, and see what they advise, I for one would be very interested in the interpretation they give out.

Reply to 2 spurs from a Junction Box....worried? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net