Discuss 2 supplies, one board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DNS1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Talked about this on here a while back, but can't find the thread!

Registering with ELECSA and going to replace my own DB for the inspector...

I've currently got 2 15th Ed boards, one 4 way for the economy 7 and one 6 way for the standard supply.

Thinking about replacing with a single board with 2 main switches, one for each supply, and each feeding an RCD and it's respective circuits (small flat).

I'd be happy to do this any other time, labelling the board suitably so people don't get caught out by the 2 supplies, but concerned that it might be a little unorthodox for an inspection...

What does everyone think?

I know there are purpose built DBs available for this, but they seem quite overpriced in comparison by buying a bog standard 12 way board and an additional main switch.

Yes, I've done that and used for an assessment - no problem.

As you say, label it well or you could fit a 4 pole isolator.

You are making modifications to a consumer unit that is type tested, but I still think that there should be no problems with this arrangement, as you say if it is suitably labelled then there should be no problem.

Thanks chaps, much appreciated.

As I said, I'd be happy doing it any time, but it's just a worry knowing that if the inspector is narrow minded then I'll be stuffed and have to pay for another visit!

Thanks chaps, much appreciated.

As I said, I'd be happy doing it any time, but it's just a worry knowing that if the inspector is narrow minded then I'll be stuffed and have to pay for another visit!

If they ever try that trick just walk onto the next robber- I mean scheme provider {cough} and tell them to get stuffed. They'll soon back peddle. Money money money! Yes! Safety safety safety? No!

Got round to setting up the board I was asking about:

2 supplies, one board 20130729_150831 - EletriciansForums.net

That configuration look decent enough? Obviously I'll be labeling it very clearly so people know both supplies have to be isolated before opening the board.

Still paranoid about the scam inspector failing me because it's a bit different...

Attachments

• 2 supplies, one board 20130729_150831 - EletriciansForums.net
    20130729_150831.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 69
Sorry to seem dim, but why have you come out of the bottom of the main switch into the bottom of the Rcd? Convention has it out the bottom of the main switch then into the top of Rcd, with neutral links to relevant neutral bars and live busbar straight out of the bottom of the Rcd then across to CBs.
Just make sure you can connect your rcds up this way, as in my mind its backwards, but I'm happy to be corrected

Busbar wasn't long enough to link the 6 MCBs and the RCD which is why I've used the links.

Just decided to run between the switches and RCDs that way as it looks neater. I did have to check the manufacturers specs to ensure the RCDs could operate both ways but all is fine!

How are you going to explain to the Elecsa Assessor, why you have ALL your "daytime" circuits on one RCD. That won't comply to the regs IMHO.

How are you going to explain to the Elecsa Assessor, why you have ALL your "daytime" circuits on one RCD. That won't comply to the regs IMHO.

It's only a small flat (1x socket ring, 1x lighting radial, cooker, shower, bathroom radiator and water heater). That still likely to be an issue?

It's only a small flat (1x socket ring, 1x lighting radial, cooker, shower, bathroom radiator and water heater). That still likely to be an issue?

As I said, IMHO a single RCD is not compliant.

I would put a call into the Elecsa Technical line and consult them, but with a word of warning, they are like economists and have differing opinions.

Hum, yes it would.

Now given the time you have spent, may be a ready built "out of the box" board would have made sense?

AND just because its a small flat doesn't give you the ability to fit 1 x upfront RCD.

In future with go with a smaller dual board or even a RCBO board.

Reply to 2 supplies, one board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock