Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss 2-way 13a block plug for dishwasher and washing machine in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. BaronWiggle

BaronWiggle New EF Member

Business Name:
    None
    I'm sure its been asked a thousand times but I can't seem to find it.

Just moved into new house and plan on installing a compact dishwasher. Unfortunately there is only one socket available which currently has the washing machine plugged in.

How awful would it be to plug a 2-way 13A block plug into this to allow both devices to be plugged in?

Failing this, what would be the average quote for someone to wire in an additional socket?

2. Rpa07

Rpa07 4000 posts - only 54195 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    Hey Baron, welcome to the forum. It would not be expensive to convert a single to a double socket outlet, swapping out the metal backbox if it’s flush. There will need to be some testing but as long as that’s all ok shouldn’t be expensive at all.
    On the other side of the coin it wouldn’t be amiss to have a double short extension lead to take care of these two apliances, if you can run them one at a time the fuse will last longer in the plug top. That is certainly the cheaper option - don’t use a 3 way adaptor - just don’t!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. davesparks

davesparks Forum Mentor

I would strongly recommend against using a 2 way adaptor to connect 2 fixed appliances such as this, the chances of overloading and overheating of the adaptor are pretty high.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

You can get the “converta” double sockets that fit onto a single back box, but they do seem a little cheap ‘n nasty.
    Not used them myself on high power appliances, just bedroom and living room points.

5. Rpa07

Rpa07 4000 posts - only 54195 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    Yeh, don’t use one of them either - yuk!

6. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

Not ideal at all I would say, best bet is to fit a double socket instead

7. Vortigern

Vortigern Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Very awful.

8. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

The spec for a BS1363 socket is 20amp. If two high power items are being used (like this) then the proper solution is to fit two single sockets, one for each appliance.
    Using extender leads, double sockets etc is a risky way forward.
    This thread, demonstrates a possible outcome
    Washing Machine and Dishwasher turning off and on when both switched on at the same time - https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/washing-machine-and-dishwasher-turning-off-and-on-when-both-switched-on-at-the-same-time.172548/#post-1515862