Discuss 2 way LED dimmer problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

What should have been an easy swap has turned into a problem, working on a lighting system with 2 x 2 gang switches currently.

The customers wants to change both 2 gang, 2 way switches for LED dimmers.

I Selected the Varilight LED 2 way dimmers and expected it to be a simple swap over.

When both dimmers are installed you get very odd results (either no switching at all, random lights, flashing lights etc). if only one dimmer and one 2 way switch is installed it works fine.

Have I misunderstood the 2 way part of the description on these switches?

Yes the lamps are dimmable, I wish it was that simple, the customer is insisting on 2 x dimmers.

I assumed that because it clearly states its a two way dimmer that it was a new type of dimmer rather than master/slave which is not possible without wiring a neutral into the switch. Very misleading

Yes the lamps are dimmable, I wish it was that simple, the customer is insisting on 2 x dimmers.

I assumed that because it clearly states its a two way dimmer that it was a new type of dimmer rather than master/slave which is not possible without wiring a neutral into the switch. Very misleading

Just tell said customer it can’t be done with standard switches .....

Zano do two way dimmers.
I don't know about Zano but plenty do 2 way dimmers......you just need a basic 2 way switch at the other end.
It's just altering an already altered waveform.

Last edited:
I don't know about Zano but plenty do 2 way dimmers......you just need a basic 2 way switch at the other end.
It's just altering an already altered waveform.
problem is that his customer wants both switches to be dimmers.

problem is that his customer wants both switches to be dimmers.
I know.....just wondering about Zano. Does he mean 2 way dimming or a 2 way dimmer?
Or am I just dim?:confused:

Got you now Vort…...do they do it? I thought all 2 ways were 3 wire.

As far as I was aware you can’t have a dimmer at both ends of a 2 way lighting circuit (not standard anyway) as they are basically competing with each other. Like someone already said your altering an already altered waveform

Reply to 2 way LED dimmer problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock