Discuss 2 way switches not working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Loky11

-
Reaction score
Now guys,

Need some help please, i have a 2 way switch that not working correctly, got a 2 gang 2 way switch on landing of 1st floor, on second floor there's a 1 gang 2 way switch, now the problem is that if the light is turned on from 1st floor it can not be turned off from 2nd floor and vice versa, it will only turn off from the switch that turned it on. Is it possible that the wires in the switches arnt wires in the correct terminals ? All advise appreciated. Cheers.

Now guys,

Need some help please, i have a 2 way switch that not working correctly, got a 2 gang 2 way switch on landing of 1st floor, on second floor there's a 1 gang 2 way switch, now the problem is that if the light is turned on from 1st floor it can not be turned off from 2nd floor and vice versa, it will only turn off from the switch that turned it on. Is it possible that the wires in the switches arnt wires in the correct terminals ? All advise appreciated. Cheers.
Take a pic of both and post them up.

I have a pic of the 1st floor switch (will upload in a min), dont have one of 2nd floor switch tho but its only a 1 gang switch which had red in common, blue in 2 way ( which im guessing is the same as L2) and yellow in 1 way (same as L1?)

Last edited:
Have the switches ever worked correctly?
Have any of them been changed just before this problem arose?

I cant quite remember but im sure it worked before, its a job ive been doing for the last year the switch on 2nd floor has been replaced but wires where swapped like for like.

Without knowing how the other switches are wired up, it looks like the two reds have been swapped?
You might need an electricians services to sort this, as being the stair lights, those two switches could be on different circuits

Without knowing how the other switches are wired up, it looks like the two reds have been swapped?
You might need an electricians services to sort this, as being the stair lights, those two switches could be on different circuits

The switch in the pics is on 1st floor which left switch turns first floor on/off also has a 2 way switch on ground floor which also turns 1st floor on/off this works as it should. The right switch turns 2nd floor (top floor) on/off. However this doesnt work as it should. The lamp on 2nd floor only had live, neutral and earth going to it.

Sounds like there is a hidden junction box somewhere. If it was wired as a three plate system you would have another two core at one of the switches. If the second floor light has only one cable connected then there are other hidden connections.

Sounds like there is a hidden junction box somewhere. If it was wired as a three plate system you would have another two core at one of the switches. If the second floor light has only one cable connected then there are other hidden connections.

Yes mate the switch on 2nd floor is a 1 gang 2 way but only has 1 cable going to it (twin+earth) then only a live, neutral and earth to the ceiling rose(2nd floor) there is a junction box underfloor boards on 1st floor below the light switch. Not sure if theres any on 2nd floor.

Somewhere there is definitely another connection because from what you have is just an apparent cable between the switches, there must be something inbetween.

Definitely need a picture of the 2nd floor switch.
If it worked before then it's just 2 wires crossed in the 2nd floor switch, but if there's only a twin at the 2 way it doesn't add up

Somewhere there is definitely another connection because from what you have is just an apparent cable between the switches, there must be something inbetween.

My bad mate, on 2nd floor its 3 core and earth, i do apologise red in common yellow in L1 and blue in L2 and obv earthed. I think the blue wire on 2md floor switch is switced live because when i put a non contact detector on it it turned live when swirched.

Think you are going to need an electrician, there is definitely a connection you are not seeing.

Check what colour is in what terminal in the 2nd floor switch, that's your problem.

Obligatory warning; don't work on live wires and don't trust non contact testers.

Will wait until tomorrow, but if there is only a 3 core and earth at both ends, then there must be a junction box somewhere, probably an octopus in the loft somewhere.
We are unlikely to solve this on line if that's the case.

Reply to 2 way switches not working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net