Discuss 2 way switching help needed after burst pipe. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

So we had a major flood a few mornings ago. The issues have now been fixed however some light switches needed to be replaced because they got drenched.

We have two way switching for our landing light (one single switch at the top of the stairs, and a two gang at the bottom that controls the hallway light and landing light), but it's not working as it used to.

I've taken the switch off and got my multi meter in there...so I have 6 wires coming into the downstairs socket, 1 earth, one that is constantly live, 2 that are live when the switch upstairs is toggled, and 2 with no voltage (presumably neutral)...the switch has two gangs with L1, L2 and Common for each gang.

Could anybody here tell me where the wires go from voltage alone? Currently, everything is isolated .

Thanks for any helps

Welcome to the forum mate.
Isn't this under the control of the electrician who will be doing/testing the work and then giving you the cert to say all is fine? Doesn't the insurance also want this?
The wiring should be the same as it was before the flood... Nothing, functionally, has changed. They still work the same. If they are not working as original then things need testing.

Hi Spoon

Thanks for the fast reply.

Luckily the ceiling didn't need complete replacing so insurance companies were never involved.

Problem is, I'm not convinced that the switch was wired correctly once replaced as it has never worked properly. The wiring of the property was checked...it's just that switch.

Cheers

an electrician needs to sort that out for you. it's not a costly job as long as there are enough cable cores to achieve the 2 way switching.

Problem is, I'm not convinced that the switch was wired correctly once replaced as it has never worked properly
Who replaced it? if they were an electrician call them back unless someone closer to home changed it and it is not correct? Post some photo's of the wiring and switches and we could advise.

I get this a lot where people have tried to change their light switches over, in short no trying to work it out from your description is a non starter, they are not likely to be neutrals but switched lives, it really is easier to call a local electrician who will sort it out by working out which cables upstairs connect to which downstairs. probably only cost you around £30.

Reply to 2 way switching help needed after burst pipe. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net