Discuss 200 amp box sufficient? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Drmadef

I have a 200 amp main box and all the spaces are full. I still need to add a 240 electric oven. I have a demand heater for the radiant floor which takes up 80 amps. I either need to upgrade my box to a 300amp?
or rewire everything?
How do I assess my needs?
is there a way to add breakers to a 200 amp box or are they designed to take an exact amount of breakers?

fit another box.:D. seriously though, being in the States, your regulations are different to ours. seek the help of an electrician. i beieve you call them master electricians.

Thanks for the reply.
Off the top of your head what would an (honest) electrician charge to switch to a larger panel box?

Thanks for the reply.
Off the top of your head what would an (honest) electrician charge to switch to a larger panel box?

Hi - this is a UK forum, we're all good guys and gals but we really can't help much with a U.S. specific question like that. I mean, you can fly me over if you want.........

Hi - this is a UK forum, we're all good guys and gals but we really can't help much with a U.S. specific question like that. I mean, you can fly me over if you want.........
I thought it better that I drag the box over to you; wires and fuses dragging and protruding out of the brown paper wrapping. Heathrow Security lifted one eyebrow and advised me to surrender; then said "Better yet, why dont we make you Trumps bodyguard during his visit. Wouldnt want anything to go array there would we?"

Are you still trying to solve your flickering lights?
Oddly enough they aren't(?) You suggested it was the power tool and it also has no more effect on the lights. (Possibly the electric company switched out a transformer or something and I didn't see them outside) This is why I think the best thing for me is to have the box replaced with a bigger one. That way a real electrician can find any anomalies and Ill have the extra capacity for the demand heater radiant floor system. Now to find one who isn't trying to send his kids to Oxford on my $. In my behalf I rewired the entire house 5 years ago without so much as a hiccup other than a few mishaps knocking me on my keester but there are things about electrical wiring behavior which I admit I don't get. I do know that 150 US electricians die each year. (That's why I like this UK thread)

Reply to 200 amp box sufficient? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net