Discuss 2004 Mercedes C200 W203 Electrical issue on startup in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping someone within this wealth of knowledge of a forum might be able to help me with my bizarre glitch!

I've got a 2004 W203 C200 Coupe CDI.

Seemingly worst when it's cold but sometimes, when I turn the key, the speedo, tacho, etc will start then when the car starts, they turn off. With this the stork stops working controlling the indicators / wipers as does the blower module. Usually if I turn off turn back on again it's all sorted. Intermittently the cruise control also stops working. Today however there was nothing for a few key turns, could hear a slightly high pitched noise in from under the bonnet then it started. By the time I'd got to work it was warm and no further issues... Very odd.

Anyone got any bright ideas as to what could be causing this!?

Really appreciate any help.

Cheers

Last edited:
At a wild guess with older Mercs the wiring harnesses suffer from corrosion and damage , The high pitched noise you heard may be a relay trying to latch .
If the problem is intermittent I have a feeling this is your problem.

Yes,it does sound like an individual circuit is being dumped. There are so many electrical issues,with models such as yours,i would be tempted to have a look on a model specific forum.
Other places,like BBA,have Q&A sections and lists of common problems,where fixes and re-worked components can be purchased.

It could very well be a relay,or the contacts,to it,or the tracks on it's power board,or the feed to that board,or.......:(

One of the most painstaking,futile and frustrating tasks,i ever had,was to rebuild a control/fuse board,off a Mercedes MIL 4WD. They have 7 layers of interconnected PCB's,in a sandwich,only using leaked rainwater,instead of butter...

I would rather play Scrabble,with Donald Trump,than do another one ;)

I have repaired 3 ML harnesses recently under the inner front wing to the ABS unit. Multiple code faults associated with ABS / steering and other associated faults. The harness literally turns to brown powder and a replacement is a fortune.
The job is a nightmare ; like Peg - I would sooner watch paint dry.

Hi - starting simple - my thought is to have your battery load tested. In my experience the older MB are very sensitive to voltage drops during cranking at start.

Hi - starting simple - my thought is to have your battery load tested. In my experience the older MB are very sensitive to voltage drops during cranking at start.

....Whilst the newer ones,are sensitive to being made shoddily,in South Africa,using child's toy quality electronics...:rolleyes:

It's sad isn't it. Once renowned for quality , now usually destined to the scrappy for lack of it.
Ps , Range Rover are not much better.

Reply to 2004 Mercedes C200 W203 Electrical issue on startup in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock