Discuss 2008 DB and RCD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hello guys
Just done an EICR on a house, the board was installed in 2008 with no RCD protection, the contractor was NICEIC according to his install stick haha.
initially I thought it may have been taken out with Nusance tripping however Insulation resistance LN-earth was 33meg so all appeared ok.

The bord is the current domestic MK type.
It's is a 5 way unit
X2 ring finals
X2 lighting
X1 shower

Initially my thoughts had been to install a main switch RCD however this is not a split board so no diversity.
RCBO on all circuits or just sockets and power under a code 2 defect?

Minimum Code 3 unless lack of additional rcd protection deems it to be an urgent requirement. How do you know it was installed in 2008 that sticker could be a previous PIR.

An early 2008 CU should have RCD protection on the sockets..... So a C2 for those sockets and rcbo's is the way to go.

An upfront RCD is last resort option IMHO

I think it is high time we stopped giving advice for people doing EICRs who don't have sufficient rudimentary knowledge of how to Code basic issues. I do not mind advising people who come across things like odd mcbs, wiring systems etc.. but this is a thread we see time and time again.

I like to help on EICRs but this is the second in as many days on which side do I butter my bread on questions. This is like helping DIYers.

My thoughts exactly westward. It's primarily the reason I'm hardly around anymore. After the thousandth time of writing "you're not competent enough to be doing what you're doing" you kinda get the feeling that no one's listening.

I think it is high time we stopped giving advice for people doing EICRs who don't have sufficient rudimentary knowledge of how to Code basic issues. I do not mind advising people who come across things like odd mcbs, wiring systems etc.. but this is a thread we see time and time again.

I think thought my question had some deviations from a DIY person but maybe not in your opinion.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I respect yours.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly westward. It's primarily the reason I'm hardly around anymore. After the thousandth time of writing "you're not competent enough to be doing what you're doing" you kinda get the feeling that no one's listening.

Myself personally if someone askes a really basic question I give over complicated answers, we are all different and I respect your opinion as we are all entitled to one.

Myself personally if someone askes a really basic question I give over complicated answers, we are all different and I respect your opinion as we are all entitled to one.

If you were in hospital for a knee operation and prior to going under you had a visit from the consultant, who upon meeting you proceeded to ask whereabouts on your body your knee was, would you reply to him with an over complicated answer?

Reply to 2008 DB and RCD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net