Discuss 206 no reverse lights... in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Chriz1

-
Reaction score
I have a problem with my Peugeot 206 at the moment,
i have no reverse lights and have tested both bulbs and fuses but they are fine,
so I have checked with multimeter the connector at the gearbox switch and I get 12v there fine on one wire ( green) the other beige wire shows no power..
I've also tried to bridge the connector and still no reverse lights..
can anyone help ?

The obvious thing with Peugeot is the lamp holders and the earth, and if you have a tow bar, messed about wiring.

If you just used a neon tester are you sure you would have 12v under load? And do you have 12v at the holders when you bridged it out?

Check for a good earth first if you have proved illumination on your lamps.

I know you said multimeter , but that still applies.

Last edited:
The obvious thing with Peugeot is the lamp holders and the earth, and if you have a tow bar, messed about wiring.

If you just used a neon tester are you sure you would have 12v under load? And do you have 12v at the holders when you bridged it out?

Check for a good earth first if you have proved illumination on your lamps.

I know you said multimeter , but that still applies.

Thanks for replying, I didn't check for 12v at the lamp holder, I just looked to see if the lamps
were lit, I will try again. I'm guessing the wire that has no reading would just be taking back power to the lamp when the switch completes the circuit ?
cpuld I send 12v down this cable and see if this lights the lamp? After I have ruled out the bulb holders

Now , could I condone that on a forum lol, but a continuity test will give you the same result.
If you bridged it out and have no power at the lamp it will point to the cable if you have established the earths and GOOD contacts at the lamps.
Select reverse with contacts removed , and check for continuity through switch

The best way is to clean them to bright metal and do a continuity check. The holders can be stubborn. Sometimes a new earth to the holder is the best way.
The holders are usually the main culprit. and some grotty cheap lamps. (bulbs lol,) Bend the contacts so the have good purchase on the lamps.

PS, I am assuming you have checked the multiplug too. If it has one.

Last edited:
a bad earth/ground connection is the usual culprit. these moddern printed circuit light cluster boards are prone to failure. it makes a lot of money for main dealers @ £90/hour labour charge.

just noticed your location. west wales. salt air and sea breezes play havoc with anything metal that can corrode.

Last edited:
I think your car must be automatic.
The beige wire, should in fact be white and live from fuse 32 in the engine fuse box.
The green should not be live.

Last edited by a moderator:
No car is manual

Ok soo I just a check again and play about with the above suggestions and I'm not better off, only think I've had success with is..

checked continuity of gearbox switch and that's fine, earths are all fine at the reverse light cluster I have power before the switch and obviously after it, it seems then it goes to an ecu or bsi known on the Peugeots I have managed to get a wiring diagram shown below, but I'm quite new to reading diagrams so hoping someone can help.
It's diagram 3 here

i understand this much from looking at the diagram

it comes from fuse no.1 of the engine bay fusebox (checked and the fuse is fine)
cable is cm17a would this be stamped on the cable for identification ??
gearbox switch
cable 210? Again is this stamped on cable for id?
enters socket 16VE pin 5 of bsi

Now this is where it gets complicated which pin out would lead to the rear lights? Off that diagram it's either 1 7 or 10?

Anyone able to help ?

thanks guys

Last edited:
My trusty land rover suffers from a lack of reversing lights, despite my best efforts to fix it.
My solution now is to just switch the fog light on when I need a reversing light.

Don't forget a reversing light is not a requirement of the MOT so there's no worries on that front.

At a quick look the reversing lights are B -2 and 5- so your pin is seven.

If they are live with reverse selected it is still the holders or the earth contact.

Last edited:
The diagram you have has some errors.
The key says the RH rear light unit is 24, yet in the diagram it is 23.
The feed to the reversing lights comes from pin 7.
The feed goes to pin 2 on the LH rear light cluster, lamp 'b'.
Then the feed jumps across to the RH rear light cluster to pin 5 again lamp 'b'.
Socket 16VE, is in fact a green cable Ve = Vert (French for green), not sure what the number 16 signifies?
If you look at the diagram, it shows some kind of diode in the passenger fuse box.
It looks as if this diode may well feed the reversing lights?
Are you sure this diagram is correct for your vehicle?

Here is a link to another diagram: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eh57zU9fdUg/TeGD_3ZOpFI/AAAAAAAAAY4/11crkCnR1S0/s1600/0007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The diode shown in the diagram, may in fact be some kind of relay?
In any event, what ever it is, it may be replaceable.
Looks like there may be others which may be the same in other fuse boxes?

It's succes!!
Found on another forum that someone posted it connects before the bulkhead into a connector then off to the bsi, I removed ecu in engine bay near bulkhead and there it was not even plugged in! I can only think previous owner as work done and it wasn't connected back up!ive only had the car 2 weeks.
Least it was a cheap fix,
big thanks to you all for the help!!

Reply to 206 no reverse lights... in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net