Discuss 20A Fused Switch or DIN mounted 20A RCBO in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

iclegg

Hi,

My central heating wiring centre (Honeywell S Plan) is hanging off a 13a plug in the garage which is plugged into a double gang socket with integrated RCD at waist height close to where I would to fit a sink.

I'd like to move the wiring centre much higher up the wall so it is out of the way and free up the socket, perhaps having it wired into a 20A Fused DP Switch. But, while I am at it I was planning on having two new 3kw immersion heaters wired up as well. I have a spare 32A MCB in the CU about 4 metres way. I would like the immersion heaters to be switched on/off from another control system which can supply a 240V ac signal (obviously not suitable to drive the heaters though).

I would end up with quite a few fused switches and I'd need to house some relays.

Would a DIN enclosure with 3 x 20A RCBO's for the two heaters and wiring centre, and 2 x DIN mounted DPDT 20A relays to switch them on and off be suitable.

My late father was an electrician and i'm lucky to know a very good one, but I'm loathed to drag him over to discuss this if its not a good idea. I guess I don't see a lot of DIN boxes in domestic settings or know whether we could use a DIN mounted 20A RCBO in place of a 20A fused switch - or maybe there is a more applicable DIN mounted module which could be used

Fit a fused spur with a 3 amp fuse in it for your central heating system.

Does your immersion tank have a thermostat on the top and bottom of the cylinder?
If so you don't want the both of them to be on at the same time as the top thermostat usually is just for a boost to top the hot water up when the cylinder is out of hot water.

Next question does your boiler not heat your water anyway you said it was an s plan ?
Immersion heaters are expensive to run and are usually just a back up incase your boiler breaks down for hot water or they are found In economy 7 systems along with electric heaters or storage type.
Confused as to why you require 2 immersions.

Depending on existing loads off the house you could feed another consumer unit off your existing or split the tails. This consumer unit Could house 4 circuit breakers...2 for the immersions, 1 for the heating controls and 1 for the relay control circuit. In this consumer unit you could also house both relays/contactors. Obviously this is notifiable work so best to get your electrician involved right from the start.

Whats the need for 2x immersion heaters? you converting to HMO?

Its an 250 litre indirect unvented cylinder, the dual safely thermostat is at the bottom, they are wired in series (as normal), the temp of dual safety is set to 60. I also have a 3rd thermostat which is wired into a digital control system I put together based on opentherm, this is what determines the final HW temp.

The two immersion heaters will be used as a backup. I figure if I'm going to have some re-wiring done I might as well connect them up.

@Leesparkykent - I hadn't thought of that, I guess I could also move the whole garage and outdoor sockets onto their own circuits too. I just dug out a trench and had UKPN run a new conductor with an upgraded 100A fuse (was 60A) so lots of capacity in the CU

Is what I proposed using a DIN enclosure with a 20A RCBO in place of a 20A fused switch crazy, are they functionally the same?

Is what I proposed using a DIN enclosure with a 20A RCBO in place of a 20A fused switch crazy, are they functionally the same?
The 2 immersions are 13amps each so I'd fit 2x 16 amp mcbs or if needed by the regulations 2x Rcbos
I'd go into a 20 amp double pole switch for isolation as a double pole switch is required for each immersion then flex out with heat resistant flex to each immersion heater stat.

Absolutely, I was thinking of a IP rated unit with some level and dust and water ingress protection! Thanks @Ian1981

All consumer units are IP rated, presumably you mean one with a higher IP rating than a standard CU?
I don't think you will find a steel one to comply with the current regulations.

i must ask.why the need for RCBOs? as it's in a garage, i assume the wiring would be surface.

Well, its not that harsh, its modern brick construction on concrete slab with a good solid roof - i'm just over spec'ing

Reply to 20A Fused Switch or DIN mounted 20A RCBO in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net