Discuss 20amp switches off the kitchen ring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All

What's your views on a bank of say 3 x 20amp DP grid switches wired on the kitchen ring and feeding single appliances through the switchs - we always fit a fuse modul for each appliance as well as the 20amp switch - is it ok to leave the fuse module out and just fit the 20amp switch feeding a single or dual socket ?

Technically I guess the answer is yes, providing each switch only feeds a single (single or double gang) socket outlet and conforms to the other requirements for a single spur from a ring, although I guess that depends on how the inputs to the switches are wired.

If the inputs to each switch are truly 'on the ring' then I'd say yes it's acceptable because each load side will just be a spur that conforms. But if only one switch is truly on the ring and the others are simply daisy chained from that, then no because you would then have three spurs from a single point on the ring.

Personally I think I might be inclined to keep the fuses just to be on the safe side in case the owner/occupier decided they needed another socket and just added one.

Thanks sparkychick
Technically I guess the answer is yes, providing each switch only feeds a single (single or double gang) socket outlet and conforms to the other requirements for a single spur from a ring, although I guess that depends on how the inputs to the switches are wired.

If the inputs to each switch are truly 'on the ring' then I'd say yes it's acceptable because each load side will just be a spur that conform. But if only one switch is truly on the ring and the others are simply daisy chained from that, then no because you would then have three spurs from a single point on the ring.

Thanks for the info

Don't forget about your load balancing on the RFC

Exactly. The whole principle of an RFC is that the loads are distributed around the ring.
By getting on the GRID switch fad you are concentrating all of the significant loads to one point.

Better to run a dedicated 4mm radial to serve the grid switch IMO.

Personally I think I might be inclined to keep the fuses just to be on the safe side
There must be a current limitingh fuse, somewhere. If the appliances plug in then its fine.
You must not use a 20A switch and hardwire the DW, etc directly without a maximum 13A fuse.

Exactly. The whole principle of an RFC is that the loads are distributed around the ring.
By getting on the GRID switch fad you are concentrating all of the significant loads to one point.

Better to run a dedicated 4mm radial to serve the grid switch IMO.

There must be a current limitingh fuse, somewhere. If the appliances plug in then its fine.
You must not use a 20A switch and hardwire the DW, etc directly without a maximum 13A fuse.

Makes sense, thanks

We come across this situation in most new build property's, I've always through it to be a bad design, thanks for the comments

I will assume the double pole swiches will be in a ring, i.e, all wiring is ringed. So ring is still complete, fed from 32A. Depending on fixed appliance, you will need to fit unswithed spur with appropriate fuses

I will assume the double pole swiches will be in a ring, i.e, all wiring is ringed. So ring is still complete, fed from 32A. Depending on fixed appliance, you will need to fit unswithed spur with appropriate fuses
Or as you said socket because plug will have fuse. Which is better

Whilst I don't subscribe to this grid switch thing, and I believe its done to seemingly comply with Part M.

I'm also not sure about whether being overly concerned (although it is a consideration) of 'balancing the RFC'. There are probably thousands of RFC's with ill based high load appliances plugged randomly into an RFC, to no ill effect. Likewise, I've come across households with just one RFC, whereby the kitchen is at one end of the RFC, again with no ill effect on the circuit.

It was probably a consideration some time ago, but modern plug in kitchen appliances are more energy efficient and have a lot less total load, and suspect the very old high load efficient ones have bite the dust. IMHO. :)

Reply to 20amp switches off the kitchen ring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock