Discuss 220v Motor 110v Plug Fitted- PLEASE HELP!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LOYDE

Hi all, am onsite plumbers are flushing out system using a 220v motor. With a 110v Commando Plug Fitted.<br><br>They are complaining about Tranny overheating! But don't wanna put a 1362 on as HSE Training has&nbsp;convinced&nbsp;them 110v not RCD protected 1362.<br><br>Anyone fresh with motors please explain the science/dangers present.<br><br>Oh and it is P.A.T stikered last test by the mighty counought plc. lol&nbsp;<br><br>Oh and also what is the limit to power from a 1.5kva tranny and why do they not put it in watts or amps.

Hi site modorators if your reading this have I posted in the wrong area? Really need to know if this is a potentially dangorous situation or not as the plumbers are leaving scorch marks on floor with their tranny but don't wanna soulotion seam happy to leave it till it burns.
So any body out there with sound motor knowlege explain the consequenses of running a 500w 220v motor through a 110v 1.5kva tranny? Been looking through my old colloge books motor running fast/ burning out? cable overheating? Tranny melting to floor? I suspect but am not confident in me assumptions. :-(

This is out of my league. But I'm commenting so that it goes back to the top of the 'unread latest posts' pile.

I'm just starting level 3 and this was 'slowly introduced' to us last year and I'm curious as to what the replies will be

For starters I would say you've got a faulty tranny there.
All the 110V ones I've ever used have had thermal overload protection and cut out when they get hot, have to stick it in a bucket of water to cool down so it'll reset.

I can't see why a 220V pump is causing problems, it should be drawing about half the current of a 110V pump of the same Wattage. (when supplied with 110V)

personaly my thoughts are that a 220v motor is exactly that 220v and that it is not designed for 110v hence every thing overheating due to the increased current load of it running on 110v on this basis i would put a plug top on it fit an rcd and try that providing the motor is 220v i would also add that i have never heard of a 110v power flush machine and they been 220v it would be great to see other peoples theorys on this

Has everything burnt out yet, if not, it will do soon! Get the pump on the correct voltage first. Then sort out or scrap the transformer.

Am on 6 day in job and This is the first Power Flush machine I have seen full stop. So can't comment on the selection of 110v vs 220v motors.
Its an pricey bit of kit plumbers use for flushing out stored hot water cylinders.

Scalebreaker C230 descaling pump

I spoke to my college tutor. He says the 220v motor will try to draw too much current and will therefore over heat the tranny.

The company I am working for are strong about 110v suplys on building sites. So will proberly ask seller to replace for 110v version.

they are on there 3rd tranny in 2 months use motor 2-5 times week 1hr on 2 off each time used.
am sure if left on longer would cause a fire! (if cutout fails to operate)

cheers for confirming my fears lads am gonna email my line manager now as my team reakon nothing will get done unless it catches alight!

As voltage goes down current goes up roughly in proportion, 10% drop in voltage, 10% rise in current. Once the current rating of the motor is exceeded the temperature rise will cause damage to the windings and burn them out.

Update..... Manager says Kamco (manufacter) says its dual voltage lol! Its due for P.A.T on fri 26th its passed the last two so will again.
Manager has told me to leave it out and be a good plumber I pointed out 4 showers in a uni house without isolation and completely sealed to wall (can't vent)
He was well offended as his sales/suvey team hadn't picked it up he was more concered with looking bad to customer than service users life expectancy!! Am pleased am only workin here a month ****in cowboys!

Reply to 220v Motor 110v Plug Fitted- PLEASE HELP!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock