Discuss 230v 3 Phase Help in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

easysushi

Hi Gents

We have to install the following

230v L1 L2 L3 and earth, router/cutter controller

230v L1 L2 N and earth, router/cutter connector

230v L1 L2 L3 and earth 7.3kw Vacuum pump

All of the above have US 3 phase connectors and the router/cutter itself is from the us

I'm guessing we would need a 400v 3 phase step-down transformer to power this equipment

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

T

Info too limited to advice ... are these motor plate ratings, supply specifications, Is this all one machine or 3 separate?

Does the control panel have VSD's

Is the whole set-up compliant or UK market

Supply specification

2 of the units do have VSD's.

The units all have 230v on the back with a big American flag

Only one unit the Vac pump in a motor

The spec' plate states 50hz/60hz but this may mislead you, you need to check its been set up for our 50hz supply the plate does not mean it can be swapped between the 2 without issue.

Your VSD's will have a base frequency pre-programmed to either 50hz or 60hz if you are buying this direct from America from anywhere other than the manufacturers then it may be set up for the American 60hz only - if this is the case you will likely encounter tripping issues of the drives and even if you get away with this not occuring the drives will not be able to accurately monitor the motors.

Where are you buying this from ...is it 2nd hand and more likely not set up for UK or are you ordering direct from suppliers or distributors spec'd for UK market?

Hi Darkwood

It is second, third or even fourth hand, apparently the unit had been working in the UK but I am skepticle of this as it still has the american socket and plugs, even the DOL is the original american version.

My main question is, is there any other way to set this up other then spending a a couple of grand on a stepdown transformer

The unit is 2nd or even third hand. Apparently it had been working in the UK, however I'm skepticle of this as it still has the original DOL and US 3 phase plugs and sockets.

My main question is there anyway to get this working without spending a couple of grand on a step down transfomer

Cheers

T

I cant really comment but this is the risk of getting machines powered in different countries where the supplies differ as well as the frequencies... TBH unless you can get the details of the machine and discuss my points above then I'd be skeptical as the outlay costs for the step-down TX and get the machine checked over for compliance to our frequency etc and any alterations made as required.

Also you'll often find machines 10-20yrs old have original VSD's in that may never have been serviced and also are of an older generation where the outputs are not S/C protected so the first fault on the motor or its supply wires (also 10-20yrs old)then blows the Drive adding another several hundred to cost shortly down the road.

Stick local for your machine it means parts, spares and compatibility should be easier to source and you not buying blind...of course the seller will say anything to make a sale he don't want the ruddy thing anymore does he.

PS just expressing an opinion from experience it may be the case this is a good bargain.. although as it stands it sounds like you need to invest in a step down TX etc.

Last edited:

Reply to 230v 3 Phase Help in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net