Discuss 2392 course worth doing in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kelrich

Alright lads
anyone done the 2392 inspection and testing course what did you think, is it perfect for housebashing is it reconized etc, just the 2391 sounds like its not an easy test and am i right in thinking its changing if it is what is it changing too and when? as this might be a better option to wait and see what it becomes, ive heard rumours its been split into 3 catagories but its just rumours anyone clear this up so i can think about the best route to take thanks in advance

You are right (as far as I know) that 2391 is splitting into 2394, 2395, 2396. I don't know what the time schedule is for that.

I've done 2392. It's the single phase domestic parts of inspection, testing and certification. In order to write a Electrical Installation Certificate or a Periodic Inspection report for reportable work (and a minor works cert for non reportable) you need this qualification.
Whether you inform the building Control Office of each job you do or join Napit, Elecsa or Nickit and let them report it, it doesn't matter, either way you have to be able inspect, test and certify otherwise there is no Certificate and the job can't be completed.
I taught myself out of books. It was harder than I expected and there is no chance of passing the practical assessment with having practised, and understood, the testing part so you will need a multitest meter. That's expensive. There's no way round that.

Laurie

Hi all,

Laurie is right, about 2391 splitting up. And I think the last chance to sit the exam is this summer and as people often need to repeat the exam it probably not worth undertaking at this stage. I have heard though that 2394 may be a LV4 qualification. Again this is speculation.

Also this is my first post on forum, and I am still trying to navigate the sight. I have a question for everyone but am unable to create a new post? And advice on how to do this would be apprecriated.

Also the question at hand, in case you can help is is there any rules on needing to terminate SWA with glands and earth nut, etc. The reason I asked is recently I terminated SWA in a IP66 rated Wiska box with Steel linked to the CPC at the terminal block, and this has been called into question as to being unacceptable. Surely that fact that the Steel is connected to CPC is sufficient. All help apprecriated.

Ken

Cheers laurie
ive done my elecsa assessment got all the test gear and have read the books just wondered whether it was best to do the 2392 or wait and see what comes in place of the 2391, sounds ok that 2392 ideal for boosting my testing knowledge, was the exam tricky thanks for your advice

Hi all,

Laurie is right, about 2391 splitting up. And I think the last chance to sit the exam is this summer and as people often need to repeat the exam it probably not worth undertaking at this stage. I have heard though that 2394 may be a LV4 qualification. Again this is speculation.

Also this is my first post on forum, and I am still trying to navigate the sight. I have a question for everyone but am unable to create a new post? And advice on how to do this would be apprecriated.

Also the question at hand, in case you can help is is there any rules on needing to terminate SWA with glands and earth nut, etc. The reason I asked is recently I terminated SWA in a IP66 rated Wiska box with Steel linked to the CPC at the terminal block, and this has been called into question as to being unacceptable. Surely that fact that the Steel is connected to CPC is sufficient. All help apprecriated.

Ken

more information would help what size swa are we talking what is the intended use for this has it got an earth core along with the protective armourings? have you used suitable glands (outside glands) has it been glanded properly etc etc??

Hi Peter,

There is an earth core within the SWA, and I have twisted the steel and and linked this with CPC core from cable to ajoining CPC from other cable. I going to change this now to glands and earth nut etc. I posed the question as I could not find any regs on having to use glands, nuts etc, as I have ensure continuity of CPC. That said, I can see why glands offer a better connection.

yes i saw the thread just after commenting, yes definately use the correct glands the sizing guide will be on the packet or the wholesalers might be able to help, get the outdoor glands and to help keep your ingress protection up dont drill through for the banjo either purchase the new type of lockring which allows lugged cables to be screwed onto or keep the banjo on the inside of the box and bend the leg of the banjo and brass knut and bolt your earth onto that, all the best

If your only testing your own work just do the 2392. Its 10x easier that the 2391 and you dont have to wait months for your results.

I've done 2392. It's the single phase domestic parts of inspection, testing and certification. In order to write a Electrical Installation Certificate or a Periodic Inspection report for reportable work (and a minor works cert for non reportable) you need this qualification.

You dont need either qualification one to do EICs or EICRs (PIR). They are a way of proving competence thats all.

The 2392 has been extended to the end of the year, then it might or might not transfer to the QCF.

The 2391-10 will carry on for a while yet. The last registration date is currently 31st July this year, with it already having been extended from the end of last December. I had a meeting with a C&G external verifier two weeks ago and he thinks even the current July date will be pushed again. The reason being that the assessment criteria for the 2394 and 2395 is still in draft and hasn't been finalised. He said that noting from summitskills will be final till at least the publication of GN3 to amendment 1 (currently April/May).

The 2391-20 which has changed to 2396 I believe is ready to roll once the question papers are written.

With the splitting of the 2391-10, although there is now twice the courses and three times the assessments, it is easier to distinguish which course is required.

2392 = Initial Verification on single phase installations up to 100A (dwelling basher)
2394 = Initial Verification on three phase installations (commercial & industrial) - This area was never really covered before
2395 = Periodic inspections on three phase installations (commercial & industrial) - This will be applicable to domestic installations by default.

There is no assessment in these qualifications that covers periodic inspections in dwellings. This will be covered under the 2395.
If the commercial periodic inspection rig is beyond the scope of your training (domestic installer people) then Part P courses (shudder) incorporate this type of assessment.

I did the 2392, I wanted a bit of a boost (if you want to call it that) in my Testing ability. While I was confident in my installation ability and I understood the regs I didn't feel too confident testing when I first decided I was going to be needing to sign off my own work.

I didn't feel experienced or capable enough of jumping straight into the 2391 so the 2392 worked out just fine for me. I was going to use it as a stepping stone to the 2391 once I had gained some experience with testing. Now I've read other posts here I will wait for the 2394/5 & 6 to start.

Cheers laurie
ive done my elecsa assessment got all the test gear and have read the books just wondered whether it was best to do the 2392 or wait and see what comes in place of the 2391, sounds ok that 2392 ideal for boosting my testing knowledge, was the exam tricky thanks for your advice
You should sail through the assesment part of the exam. It's a two sided dummy board the size of a blackboard. On one side there is a lot of circuits open for inspection, on the other side there are the same circuits closed for testing.
The theory part on the computer (same as 2382) was much harder than I expected with lots of stuff I didn't know - and couldn't find later in GN3.
I think it's worth doing for anyone who does domestic.
Hope that's helpful.
Laurie

Reply to 2392 course worth doing in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net