Discuss 2394+2395 combined course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

amckay

I've enrolled on the above city&guilds course which I'm doing 2 evenings per week for several weeks. I have little prior testing experience only really cont tests and IR tests. I'm looking for practical advice from anyone who has done the above courses before, (not neseceraly combined) hints and tips. I suppose the thing that concerns me most is the written exams as I've never had to do a written exam since school! I already have gn3 for light reading lol also wondering if the exam success books are any help?
Thanks guys and guyettes!

Last edited by a moderator:
main thing is GN3. also take note of correct terminology. e.g. Insulation Resistance Test Meter, not Megger.

You may have done an EAL inspecting and testing course. I believe they concentrate more on the practical sides of things and it's the equivalent of the C&G 2394 & 2395. It is also an open book exam

Sorry I forgot to mention its the city&guilds version. I take it that the EAL version is the only one of the two that is open book?
Thanks tel, I'll work on proper terminology!

GN3 all the way when doing this course. I found the C&G exam success book useful too, let's you know exactly what the exam will be like and how to answer the questions, terminology etc, it also has a past paper. Google 2391 past papers too, very similar. Be weary of your time during the exams. Good luck !

Sorry I forgot to mention its the city&guilds version. I take it that the EAL version is the only one of the two that is open book?

Yes mate, If you're not very good at written exams, the EAL one will suit you more as it more practical than written.

where you doing your course at ?

I'm doing it at erudite training in ashton, Manchester. I did 17th and building regs course there and they are very good as the two lecturers are time served electricians who know their stuff. And at £840 inc vat for both courses I rekon that's a good price as I havnt seen any other similarly low prices around manchester

As I done my apprenticeship in the 1970's I found the 2395 written exam very easy indeed, however as I was not used to working on the electrical rigs in the classroom that was more of struggle but ok once I got used to them MFT's lol

I've enrolled on the above course which I'm doing 2 evenings per week for several weeks. I have little prior testing experience only really cont tests and IR tests. I'm looking for practical advice from anyone who has done the above courses before, (not neseceraly combined) hints and tips. I suppose the thing that concerns me most is the written exams as I've never had to do a written exam since school! I already have gn3 for light reading lol also wondering if the exam success books are any help?

what is your previous electrical history and qualifications ?

I've enrolled on the above course which I'm doing 2 evenings per week for several weeks. I have little prior testing experience only really cont tests and IR tests. I'm looking for practical advice from anyone who has done the above courses before, (not neseceraly combined) hints and tips. I suppose the thing that concerns me most is the written exams as I've never had to do a written exam since school! I already have gn3 for light reading lol also wondering if the exam success books are any help?

what is your previous electrical history and qualifications ?

Mainly domestic house bashing but now i do pat. 2330, 17th & building regs.
Doing HB previously for social housing it was the main contractor who came round to test n sign off so that's the main reason for lack of testing experience. But want to get T&I as I'd like to go into commercial or industrial as pat is boring as you prob know and sticker brigade prices are hard to match

OK so I started the course on Monday (28th) which ends on friday and have learnt that I am doing the online multiple choice (2394 i have chosen as aparantly you get a choice?) on Friday afternoon. (Written & practicals will be in Aug). I have no idea what to expect. I honestly don't think I'll pass any of it but my tutor (a time served elec eng who's worked on Chemplants and other 'big' stuff) rekons I'm just doubting my confidence and I'll be ok. Bearing in mind I've never had any prior testing experience and going thru some practice questions I feel I struggle to understand or interoperate correctly some of the questions. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

The online assessment is the same exam for either the 2394 or 2395 (so you do not have to do it twice).
The course you are taking should cover all the information you need to pass the exams.
So so long as you have been paying attention(!) you should be fine.

The way the questions are worded can be very confusing and you have to learn C&Gspeak!
Read all the question and try and break it down if you can into the specifics of what they are asking.

e.g if it says new installation, you know that the installation has never been energised and that everything will meet the current regulations.
If it mentions a cable type or description then that is the cable you are using to answer the question.

You can get information on the exam structure and a fair amount of detail on the requirements of the exams from the city and guilds website and their course handbook (in the documents tab, centre documents). You can also read the Chief examiners reports to aid you in areas of common failure (in additional documents).

The break down of the on line exam is as follows:
Unit 301 (Online Multiple Choice): Duration: 1 hour 20 minutes

1 Understand the requirements for completing the safe isolation of electrical circuits and installations
7 questions 18%

2 Understand the requirements for initial verification of electrical installations
2 questions 5%

4 Understand the requirements for the safe testing and commissioning of electrical installations
11 questions 27%

5 Understand the requirements for testing before circuits are energised
7 questions 18%

6 Understand the requirements for testing energised installations
13 questions 32%

Total 40 questions 100%

Easy really, good luck.

Thanks Richard that's a great help.
There's only me and one other fella on the course so I think that helps as its pretty much one on one tuition when compared to having a class full of learners!

Reply to 2394+2395 combined course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net