Discuss 2394/2395 Practical help please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

spartan_spark

Hi guys, not longed joined and kind of glad I found this forum as its got so much info and help its awesome.

Im about to do my practical for the 2394 and 2395 in the same day on Wednesday and I know its a late but I need a bit of help with a few parts of the practical test im not to sure about. Haven’t done testing in a little while so am a little rusty.

So I will start off with my safe isolation and then proceed to do the continuity of protective conductor tests

So at this stage I have a couple questions:

When it comes to doing the R1+R2 for 3 phase contactor, can I test at the 3 phase plug with my link in the cu so goes all the way through the contactor or do I have to do it from cu>contactor then contactor>plug and add them together?

The main bonding conductor goes to an earth block first then to a pipe with a separate cable, should I only test up to the earth block as that’s the continuous part or would I test it up to the pipe regardless of the earth block?

Dumb question but does the dimmer need to be bridged out for the r1+r2 test as im not sure it will have an effect on the reading as it regulates voltage doesn’t it?

So from here I will proceed to do my IR tests, which I have a few questions to:

I’m a little concerned about the 3 phase contactor as I’ve never really worked with them before. There is also an rcbo I believe on the 3 phase board to. So would it be ok because of those rcbo and contactor that I provide a link between the load side of an mcb to the neutral bar and do an IR test between L+N to E? Otherwise would it be a case of doing the 3 phase contactor in 2 parts and disconnecting the rcbo and doing it separately also?

On single phase board I take it leaving the main switch rcd off, doing a complete board test with the dimmer disconnect would be ok?

Will the MiCC circuit effect the readings at all?

So from here I will repeat my dead test on the single phase board. (i will have also done the full ring tests also).

Before I energise i will use the supply side of the 3 phase board to obtain a Ze, PFC and Live polarity, are these all done at once with the same meter or do i have to show separate tests? Can i get phase rotation as well while I’m at it?. Im a bit worried about the live parts as I know working live is a big no no but some things still have to be done, so don’t want to get it wrong.

The other thing that confuses me is the sub main single phase board, will I have to get a PFC for it, as that would mean me closing the 3 phase board and the energising the supply to the single phase board whilst the main RCD off and testing pfc. Would this be ok or considered working live? Also just to ask, as pre GN3, the PFC test doesn’t seem to be a a requirement for a periodic inspection in table 3.4, does this mean I shouldn’t do it?

DO I have to get phase rotation for the motor as well or would have the continuity test proven polarity for it? If so how would I go about phase rotation as I haven’t really done it before?

Thanks guys I know some of the questions are a bit simple but I just to clarify it so I know what I’m doing.

I appreciate any help anyone can give and any tips or advise, thanks again.

Hi guys, not longed joined and kind of glad I found this forum as its got so much info and help its awesome.

Im about to do my practical for the 2394 and 2395 in the same day on Wednesday and I know its a late but I need a bit of help with a few parts of the practical test im not to sure about. Haven’t done testing in a little while so am a little rusty.

So I will start off with my safe isolation and then proceed to do the continuity of protective conductor tests

So at this stage I have a couple questions:

When it comes to doing the R1+R2 for 3 phase contactor, can I test at the 3 phase plug with my link in the cu so goes all the way through the contactor or do I have to do it from cu>contactor then contactor>plug and add them together?
You will need to hold the contactor in for the duration of the test, otherwise you won't have continuity. When I did the 2391 I got my assessor to do this for me.

The main bonding conductor goes to an earth block first then to a pipe with a separate cable, should I only test up to the earth block as that’s the continuous part or would I test it up to the pipe regardless of the earth block?
By 'earth block' do you mean the MET? You test from the pipe to the MET.

Dumb question but does the dimmer need to be bridged out for the r1+r2 test as im not sure it will have an effect on the reading as it regulates voltage doesn’t it?
You are correct, it needs to be linked out.

So from here I will proceed to do my IR tests, which I have a few questions to:

I’m a little concerned about the 3 phase contactor as I’ve never really worked with them before. There is also an rcbo I believe on the 3 phase board to. So would it be ok because of those rcbo and contactor that I provide a link between the load side of an mcb to the neutral bar and do an IR test between L+N to E? Otherwise would it be a case of doing the 3 phase contactor in 2 parts and disconnecting the rcbo and doing it separately also?
Could you not test between each phase, each phase to CPC, and each phase to neutral from the load side of the MCB with it turned off?

On single phase board I take it leaving the main switch rcd off, doing a complete board test with the dimmer disconnect would be ok?
Yes, you test that as a separate board, except instead of a Ze it'll be Zdb because it's not at the intake.

Will the MiCC circuit effect the readings at all? The readings on the other circuits, or itself? It shouldn't affect either.

So from here I will repeat my dead test on the single phase board. (i will have also done the full ring tests also).

Before I energise i will use the supply side of the 3 phase board to obtain a Ze, PFC and Live polarity, are these all done at once with the same meter or do i have to show separate tests? Can i get phase rotation as well while I’m at it?. Im a bit worried about the live parts as I know working live is a big no no but some things still have to be done, so don’t want to get it wrong.
Testing is one thing you need to do live. Remember your assessor will be watching you so won't let you do anything dangerous - the worst that will happen is you'll have to retake the exam.
If your test meters have GS38 probes what kind of problem do you envisage? Remember you can calculate Zs if it won't be safe to measure it.

The other thing that confuses me is the sub main single phase board, will I have to get a PFC for it, as that would mean me closing the 3 phase board and the energising the supply to the single phase board whilst the main RCD off and testing pfc. Would this be ok or considered working live? Also just to ask, as pre GN3, the PFC test doesn’t seem to be a a requirement for a periodic inspection in table 3.4, does this mean I shouldn’t do it?
As before, you test the single phase board as a separate board - by the time you come to test it the 3 phase board should be all finished with the cover back on. All the circuits on the single phase board should be off at this point, so the only live parts will be the incoming live (and technically neutral), of which only the recessed screw is live, and of course you're using GS38 probes.

DO I have to get phase rotation for the motor as well or would have the continuity test proven polarity for it? If so how would I go about phase rotation as I haven’t really done it before?
All you do is put the 3 probes onto the correct live terminals on the board. You should be looking at "1,2,3" for correct phase rotation. It's as simple as that.

Thanks guys I know some of the questions are a bit simple but I just to clarify it so I know what I’m doing.

I appreciate any help anyone can give and any tips or advise, thanks again.
My answers in green.
Please say it I've misunderstood what information you're looking for.

Hi, thanks for your response. Yea for the most part you've answered a lot of my questions and I appreciate it. But just so i can clarify: So doing the R1+R2 test through the contacter turned on shouldn't affect the readings i get? About the earth block, is the MET more considered where the main incoming supply earth is connected to? as in this case in actually in the board itself ( on the earth bar). From the board the main bonding conductor goes to an earth block (or MET?), then a separate cable from the block to the pipes (so its in 2 parts). So was a little confused as to whether I do the test straight from the board tot he pipe or from the block to the pipe. Also about the IR test I apologies I don't think I made much sense lol. So basically there is a 3 phase mcb for the contacter and a single pole rcbo for just a normal ring i think on the board to. So as per GN3 it seems to advise to do the whole board at once. But as I was mentioning the 3 phase board has the contacter in the circuit as well as an rcbo on the board. So to avoid damage as GN3 says I was thinking I could do it the L+N to E way rather phase phase etc. I mean is that ok or is it only in extreme cases you do that? I don't envisage me doing anything dangerous at all its more just maybe not following the exact procedure and failing because of it, as i know it very safety conscious. I mean just before I close the 3 phase board and energize, do you just quickly do those live tests from the supply side and close it and continue? Oh ok so about the PFC for single phae board its all good to do it once turned off all mcbs on it and have closed up and powered up 3 phase board? Thanks again and sorry for the long text and questions, i suppose im a little nervous.

Reply to 2394/2395 Practical help please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock