Discuss 2394/2395 Question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mike Blair

Question is :

- The insulation resistance of two circuits is of 40M? an 36? respectively. When tested together what is the total insulation resistance:

answer is 19 ohms but how? can some one explain

I should point out that Rt = (R1 x R2)/ (R1 + R2) can obviously only be used with two resistances in parallel which you have in your question. With three or more resistances in parallel then use the method below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
i got you looking back through my college work n found it confused my self with series revising for my 2394/5 stressful! haha i remember in college you could use (R1 x R2)/ (R1 + R2) for only 2 the other method for more

i got you looking back through my college work n found it confused my self with series revising for my 2394/5 stressful! haha i remember in college you could use (R1 x R2)/ (R1 + R2) for only 2 the other method for more

Get your head stuck in to guidance note 3, read old chief examiners reports for previous runs and the exam success book is worth getting. Remember that terminology is key.

and just as an aside. for capacitors in parallel, just add the values. in series, use the reciprocal formula. opposite to resistors.

written exam in 2 weeks scary!! after the 3 day course i remember almost everything so im not worried about the science or math the terminology is making me crap

Reply to 2394/2395 Question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net