Discuss 2394 and 2395 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Dru

I'm looking at doing the 2394 and 2395. I have been quoted £770 + vat by my local training centre where i did my apprenticeship which seems about an average price.

I am a fairly quick learner but don't have much experience in testing, inspecting and certificating. Is this as essential as a couple of websites have made out? Will I be wasting my money unless I have a very good knowledge of it?

All help appreciated

it would be a good idea to get some practical testing experience before doing the course. the thery side is all in the course with a lot of studying of GN3. and getting terminology into c&g speak.

Agree with Tel, any way you can get with a local company as an extra pair of hands, unpaid if necessary to gain some experience?

I'm working 7.00am to 6.00pm an hour from home 6 days a week at the moment because the job has only got 3 weeks left till handover. So unfortunately finding the time is nearly impossible.

is it absolutely essential? Or have a fair few people been known to do well and pass without prior experience?

The 2394/5 assumes you are competent and experienced in testing and inspection as well as other technical aspects. It's do-able for someone with limited experience, but you would have to get your head in the books extra hard.
City and guilds have a course entitled fundamental testing and inspection, the 2392.... but if you have already completed an apprenticeship I would assume it would cover the same ground as your core skills course.

If you are not doing any practical testing for the experience, there are a couple of things you can still do:
(a) test all the circuits in your own house;
(b) build a test rig, similar to the one you'll encounter in the practical exam, and run through the tests you'll do in the exam.
This assumes you either have your own MFT, or can borrow one as needed.

Have you tried/priced courses at a local college with C&G certification? Likely to be cheaper than private training cos, although likely to take longer if it's night classes.

Reply to 2394 and 2395 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock