Discuss 2395 written exam question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dave the spark

Hello,

Sat my 2395 written exam tonight. Two of the questions caused quite a bit of confusion amongst a few of us that sat and dissected it afterwards. The question was relating to an insulation resistance test on a lighting circuit where it was stated that the fluorescent lights could be isolated but not disconnected.

The question was along the lines of 'which procedures would you carry out to allow you to test the circuit at 500v?'

The question was worth 2 marks and I could only think to answer 'link out both live conductors and test between live conductors and cpc'. Was there anything else I could have added?, the 2 marks suggested there was.

The second question was along the lines of 'name the procedure in previous question which allows you to test all live conductors?'

I could not answer this and it's the only answer I left blank. Can anyone shed any light on this? I've looked at GN 3 since and can't see anything at all.

Apart from that I felt I did well and I'm expecting to pass, which isn't like me with exams. Suffice to say I'll fail it now:D

The question was worth 2 marks and I could only think to answer 'link out both live conductors and test between live conductors and cpc'. Was there anything else I could have added?, the 2 marks suggested there was.

You could operate the switch :)

You could have added "ensuring the cpc is connected to the means of earthing" when describing the test between linked live conductors and cpc.

You could operate the switch :)

Yip, there they are. Both those would have been good to think of.

What about the second question, any ideas? To my knowledge the only name is an insulation resistance test

Its been a while since I took the old testing exam but my efort would have ben something like this

The question was along the lines of 'which procedures would you carry out to allow you to test the circuit at 500v?'
Ans 1 could have been as suggested by the 2 posts above

The second question was along the lines of 'name the procedure in previous question which allows you to test all live conductors?
'Ans 2 could have described the actions of the tester to operate circuit switching to ensure all live conductors have been tested

I would have said that the answer one could have been: connect together line and neutral conductors (1 mark) and test at 500V to the cpc (1 mark) that is connected to the means of earthing.

For question two I think this is not specified in detail in GN3 but could be usefully described as an "insulation resistance test between live conductors and earth".

Reply to 2395 written exam question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net