Discuss 2396 Design exam help on processes in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Not sure on the pass mark this time round, maybe the report will be out soon. Didn’t like to ask tutor how others had got on.

I made a very brief start on the project, answers first couple of questions and began sourcing some suitable luminaries etc. But towards end of the course I decided it was best to focus on the exam, no point going too far with project if I hadn’t got through that!!

Just need to get my head down now between work and family and start chipping a few hours off.

What type of building are you designing for your project ?

Not sure on the pass mark this time round, maybe the report will be out soon. Didn’t like to ask tutor how others had got on.

I made a very brief start on the project, answers first couple of questions and began sourcing some suitable luminaries etc. But towards end of the course I decided it was best to focus on the exam, no point going too far with project if I hadn’t got through that!!

Just need to get my head down now between work and family and start chipping a few hours off.
Take my advice, even if you dedicate a couple of hours a week stick to it. I aimed to complete mine within 6 months and it still took me a year.

Who's the company/college you taking it with?

Hi all, beginning to make a start on the project now. Does anyone have any example projects they would be able to share? Obviously I know they’re all different, I’m just interested to get some ideas on how best to present it. For example how did you do your cable runs/lengths without it looking a mess. How did you present your calcs in electronic format (I’ve not really done much with excel). Any other time saving tips would also be welcome!

I can't seem to upload any files other than images to this thread. P.M me your email address and I'll send a template over.

I did mine just over a year ago. I found the questions easy enough, but I just didn't have time. 3 hours goes by pretty quickly.
I got to 2 hours 45 mins and had only answered 7 questions, so I just scribbled what I thought was nonsense for the last 3 questions in the hope of grabbing a few more marks.

Amazingly I did pass. Guess I must have answered the first seven questions really well.

Good luck

Sounds familiar Pete. I was frustrated after the exam that with a little more ‘real world’ time I could have done a better job of some of the questions. However I got through it, so I must have done well enough on the earlier questions!

Finding time around work and normal family life is definitely a challenge and I need to keep motivating myself not to just say ‘I’ll do some next weekend’.

I've attached a couple of examples of circuit sheets and one question I did for my project. This format may not be ideal for you but it worked for me. Please feel free to bastardise as you wish.

Make sure you answer each question, you may feel as if some of your answers repeat themselves but this is just the nature of the project.

DB1 Way 1-3 HVAC.pdf

DB1 Way 2L2-Coffee Machine.pdf

Max Demand.pdf

Edit: And as for getting time, I decided to dedicate one day a month to this, a couple of hours and you'll only just get into the swing of things. I manged to book a small conference room in work so I wouldn't be disturbed. However there might be a company in your local area that rents out hot desks etc. I gave in trying to do this at home due to too many distractions.

Attachments

• DB1 Way 1-3 HVAC.pdf
    116.5 KB · Views: 54
  • DB1 Way 2L2-Coffee Machine.pdf
    116.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Max Demand.pdf
    154.9 KB · Views: 43
Thanks for that Strima. How did you go about showing the wiring routes on the drawing, did you simply have line after line in a different colour showing the intended routes down to switches and then back to the luminaries? Or did you split lighting and power? I’m think I’m mainly a little unsure just how much details they’re looking for and I don’t want to spend time going ott or perhaps worse, having to go back over it again because I’ve not covered enough!

Thanks for that Strima. How did you go about showing the wiring routes on the drawing, did you simply have line after line in a different colour showing the intended routes down to switches and then back to the luminaries? Or did you split lighting and power? I’m think I’m mainly a little unsure just how much details they’re looking for and I don’t want to spend time going ott or perhaps worse, having to go back over it again because I’ve not covered enough!
Depends on what they are asking for. If they are only asking for wiring routes don't worry about cable drops etc. I went down my local stationary shop and got some of the drawings printed out on A3 and A2. I had quite a few A3 sheets used for rough drawings and routes.

I roughly sketched out my wiring routes then went with my circuit designs, so I could get away with buried in plaster others needed to be on perf tray for CCC etc. Once I was happy with the circuits I then went back to the wiring routes.

Don't show individual circuits on the sheets unless they have asked for it, just the wiring routes. Otherwise the whole thing will look like a plumbers scribble...

All I did was draw on the drawing where my tray/buried/clipped runs were using different colour pens, don't use crayons as plumbers like to eat them. I kept most of my installation run on tray wherever possible with drops buried in plaster. You do not have to specifically state, unless they really ask, what size tray you will be using. Just give them the generic 300, 200, 100, 50mm sizes.

Put in little comments on a cover sheet such as:
  • Installers are to place tray in such a position as to allow access to cable drops whilst supporting the cable.
  • Containment is to be tested for continuity and earthed as per manufacturers instructions.
  • Cable drops buried in plaster are to have suitable mechanical protection.
  • And any other -------s that sounds good etc etc etc
Also for the lighting I split the installation down into zones and just colour coded them on separate sheets.

I would stick a copy of mine up but I did these by hand and never made a copy of them.

Hi
I am resitting my 2396 tomorrow and going through my past papers I have a question that I stumbled on last time out. The training provider I failed with are no longer in business, they weren't very good, so I am on my own.

The questions are ;

A 230v single phase circuit is wired using a multicore 70c thermoplastic cable having 1.5mm2 conductors and 49m in length.
It is protected by a 16a BS88c,PScc reading at the origin of the circuit is 110a.

Q. Determine if this circuit has adequate short circuit protection?

And -

Q. How do you determine if a circuit breaker will protect the live conductors in line with 434.5.2?

Not necessarily looking for answers but a breakdown of the process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
Do you have past exam papers

Hi
I am resitting my 2396 tomorrow and going through my past papers I have a question that I stumbled on last time out. The training provider I failed with are no longer in business, they weren't very good, so I am on my own.

The questions are ;

A 230v single phase circuit is wired using a multicore 70c thermoplastic cable having 1.5mm2 conductors and 49m in length.
It is protected by a 16a BS88c,PScc reading at the origin of the circuit is 110a.

Q. Determine if this circuit has adequate short circuit protection?

And -

Q. How do you determine if a circuit breaker will protect the live conductors in line with 434.5.2?

Not necessarily looking for answers but a breakdown of the process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
Chris do you have past exam papers.

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 2396 Design exam help on processes in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock