Discuss 240v compressor switch Knackered in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Tom17

Hi all
basically my dad has this old compressor for spraying cars etc
the breaker switch on it has Knackered so I have just bypassed it as we are using it in a controlled way
the part we need - a DME25 that I have attached a pic of can't be found anywhere if we need to I will source something of the same spec etc but for the time being it is safe and it working ok!
I don't usually deal with anything like this my experience so far (I'm a 2nd year apprentice)
and im a little cautious about letting my dad run the compressor without the needed safety devices!
I just wondering what the little spring loaded switch at be bottom has to do with anything and if this is needed I know it's not the pressure switch but I was wondering could it have something to do with it? Any help will be great as I said this is not being ran properly until I am 100% happy and if I can't get enough help on here I will have my boss look at it I'm just off for Christmas shut down and want to use my time to have a go at fixing myself

240v compressor switch Knackered image - EletriciansForums.net240v compressor switch Knackered image - EletriciansForums.net

I's likely this is a combination of components performing multiple functions. It's a manual motor starter which incorporates on and off buttons as well as a thermal overload device to protect against motor general overload conditions and locked rotor. The solenoid that's clearly visible might (I emphasise 'might') be operating a mechanical offloader valve which depressurises the pipework when the motor stops running, this is to allow easier re-start without high head pressure. There may also be a pressure switch incorporated into the bottom of the device you've shown but it's also possible the pressure switch is a separate item.

As for sourcing such an item I'd head for a compressor sales and repair outlet rather than a general electrical wholesaler. You may not find the exact part with the same model number but you should find a generic equivalent with the same specifications.

You have by passed a critical safety feature then say you have no experience or knowledge this type of work.... gobsmacked is my first reaction ... possibly putting risk to life and/or property then my second thought is idiot!

Ring your dad, tell him not to use it and get a qualified person in who is competent in this field, compressors can have 'contactor - O/L - pressure switch' all in one, you may have just set up a time bomb waiting to explode if this was the case well blowing out the safety release valve anyway, even if the pressure switching was external to the unit you have no way of stopping the motor burning out if any number of issues arose...:willy_nilly:

Sorry to sound blunt but your training to be a professional who should prioritise safety and before your even out of your apprenticeship you have failed big!

^^^^^ maybe harsh, but sound advice. fix it right or take it out of service.

Yep agreed, the compressor shouldn't ever be used without protection. Even with a small hobby compressor if it ruptures with 10Bar in the tank I don't fancy your Dad's chances of walking away without injury.

Hi all
the breaker switch on it has Knackered so I have just bypassed it as we are using it in a controlled way
the part we need - a DME25 that I have attached a pic of can't be found anywhere if we need to I will source something of the same spec etc but for the time being it is safe and it working ok!
I don't usually deal with anything like this my experience so far (I'm a 2nd year apprentice)
and im a little cautious about letting my dad run the compressor without the needed safety devices!
I just wondering what the little spring loaded switch at be bottom has to do with anything and if this is needed I know it's not the pressure switch but I was wondering could it have something to do with it? Any help will be great as I said this is not being ran properly until I am 100% happy and if I can't get enough help on here I will have my boss look at it I'm just off for Christmas shut down and want to use my time to have a go at fixing myself

View attachment 27297View attachment 27298
Hi dude,THIS ^^^^ was,i think,your "buy-sign",indicating your anticipation of this type of response,after your first admission. Please either get this repaired correctly,or get yer dad a new one. "Buy-signs",are one of the many indicators,people give out,without knowing,in situations such as police interviews,and are used by trained interrogators,to guide questioning during an investigation...possibly,say after an explosion in a domestic garage...:icon12:

Hi all

View attachment 27297View attachment 27298
Before you get any further opinions try replying to the opinions you have already recieved.

You have by passed a critical safety feature then say you have no experience or knowledge this type of work.... gobsmacked is my first reaction ... possibly putting risk to life and/or property then my second thought is idiot!

Ring your dad, tell him not to use it and get a qualified person in who is competent in this field, compressors can have 'contactor - O/L - pressure switch' all in one, you may have just set up a time bomb waiting to explode if this was the case well blowing out the safety release valve anyway, even if the pressure switching was external to the unit you have no way of stopping the motor burning out if any number of issues arose...:willy_nilly:

Sorry to sound blunt but your training to be a professional who should prioritise safety and before your even out of your apprenticeship you have failed big!

You are right to say the OP is wrong for overriding a protection device but he is probably afraid of dissapointing his father. I remember as a 2nd year apprentice i did something similar, i was afraid to say no to the production manager my chargehand/mentor was away and i was on my own. When my mentor returned to work i told him i had bypassed a safety device instead of cracking up he rightified the mistake and told me from now on not to be afraid to say no anbody.

You are right to say the OP is wrong for overriding a protection device but he is probably afraid of dissapointing his father. I remember as a 2nd year apprentice i did something similar, i was afraid to say no to the production manager my chargehand/mentor was away and i was on my own. When my mentor returned to work i told him i had bypassed a safety device instead of cracking up he rightified the mistake and told me from now on not to be afraid to say no anbody.

Your point may be valid but it doesn't take away the risk he has put his family in even if his intentions were good in nature, I still think it took a short sharp shock to give a reality check here .... from yrs of bringing apprentices through the learning curve you find the calm collected don't do it again approach is often good at that moment in time but doesn't really sink in, now if like myself a very calm and layed back person loses his rag once in a blue moon then the message is well and truely got and remembered. Unfortunately the OP does not know my nature so a little bit of bluntness and probably harsh advice will be remembered probably against the other posts in the hope he will think safety first next time ......

Out of the 7000 posts I've done I really cannot remember 99% of them but can recall some that were straight to the point and very blunt, its just how the mind works.... if the OP's are ever offended they can report and I will message them my reasoning for my approach.

Your point may be valid but it doesn't take away the risk he has put his family in even if his intentions were good in nature, I still think it took a short sharp shock to give a reality check here .... from yrs of bringing apprentices through the learning curve you find the calm collected don't do it again approach is often good at that moment in time but doesn't really sink in, now if like myself a very calm and layed back person loses his rag once in a blue moon then the message is well and truely got and remembered. Unfortunately the OP does not know my nature so a little bit of bluntness and probably harsh advice will be remembered probably against the other posts in the hope he will think safety first next time ......

Out of the 7000 posts I've done I really cannot remember 99% of them but can recall some that were straight to the point and very blunt, its just how the mind works.... if the OP's are ever offended they can report and I will message them my reasoning for my approach.
Im not disagreeing with you, probably my own naivety, i tend to over empathise with people.

Im not disagreeing with you, probably my own naivety, i tend to over empathise with people.

I didn't take it as a challange against my methods but decided it needed an explanation anyway because it could sound out of character for me, I'm always happy to help but years of been a apprentice trainer means I usually still drop in the odd harsh post when I think it will best help the OP even if (s)he takes it the wrong way.

Reply to 240v compressor switch Knackered in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock