Discuss 240v Downlighters with LED Dimmable bulbs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Im currently quoting a job to install dimmable downlighters.

Firstly, can I use 240v downlighters with dimmable LED bulbs

Secondly, can I use a standard dimmer switch or does it have to be a low voltage one?

Thanks as always

Dan

Hi Guys,

Im currently quoting a job to install dimmable downlighters.

Firstly, can I use 240v downlighters with dimmable LED bulbs

Yes you just buy GU10 LED lamps.

Secondly, can I use a standard dimmer switch or does it have to be a low voltage one?

For an increased chance of compatibility, trailing-edge dimmer switches tend to work better with the capacitive load of an LED driver.

Thanks as always

Dan

LED loading cannot be calculated the same way as a traditional Incandescent or a Mains Halogen light bulb. A good ‘Rule Of Thumb’ to apply ,is to take the maximum rating of the dimmer switch and divide by 10. Or the manufactures instructions will provide more accurate information than the rule of thumb method.

use brain for thinking. buy the lamps and dimmer together from same place.

Lee does that mean if I have 9 x 5W LED (45W total plate load) I will be ok with a dimmer that has got a min plate load of 40W?

My post was about the maximum loading of the dimmer when using LED lamps. For example a 500W dimmer will normally be good for 10x5W led lamps but the manufacturers instructions might say you can have more.

Most trailing-edge dimmers have a low minimum load often around 10W.

Last edited:
had a very good results with bg nexus dimmers recently, they have a little adjustment at the back, to set maximum dimming level, so the lights dont cut-off. toolstation sells them. worked fine with a lot of 8 generic 5w dimmable leds purchased in there too.

you can buy GU10 LED's so yes you can do, a standard dimmer would do it... however as I work at a manufacturer you need to make sure that the LED fittings are compatible with the dimmer....... AKA led is a pain

I instal the complete dimmable led inc driver, costs approx £25 .
I used to sometimes fit led lamps only but not worth the aggro and don't perform half as good when using a decent dimmer switch,

Reply to 240v Downlighters with LED Dimmable bulbs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock