Discuss 240v on neutral and live? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi everybody.

My boiler in the caravan keeps coming up with low voltage warning which states that potentially the supply is faulty. I got a plumber out to check boiler and he did a test on the earth to live and got 240v he then tested earth to neutral and got 240v. He said i need to get an electrician in to sort the electrics out which i dont have a problem with however something in my mind does not sit right.
The static has a 10amp supply which has RCD and the static also has its own RCD. Would this not have blown any of the RCD and is this not dangerous.
Any ideas on what could cause this problem as the boiler has been working fine up untill 2 weeks ago.

Seen it before with a fault before the RCD where L&N had shorted out. This was on the DNO supply and they ended up replacing the overhead supply back to the transformer.

Seen it before with a fault before the RCD where L&N had shorted out. This was on the DNO supply and they ended up replacing the overhead supply back to the transformer.
Thats interesting. The static is on a fishing lake so all the power supply comes from the owners house supply. About 12 vans in total which is also fused at his end and then the power supply goes round the lake underground to the standard hookup points with electric meters on. He has had the electrics checked by YEB and all good.
I am wondering if its possible that my cable from the hookup to the static which is also burried could have a fault and cause the same issue or a cable under the van has been nibbled ?

I think I read that somewhere too. When it the DNO supply shorts it it creates a unique situation with a special frequency that only affects the neutral on boilers but doesn't affect anything else. I'll have to check again where I read it.....

. I got a plumber out to check boiler and he did a test on the earth to live and got 240v he then tested earth to neutral and got 240v

L to N would have been a useful one as that is what the boiler is powered across. Plumbers and electrics.....

240 L to E would indicate your cpc is at earth potential so subsequently 240 N to E would indicate you have a lost neutral to your boiler. The fact that everything else is working would indicate that the fault is not with the supply up to the van but is with the final circuit.
Electrician required to rectify and test to ensure it not only works but that it is safe due to extra risks of caravan electrical installations

Good you have someone on the case, however for future reference, a simple check to eliminate or determine if the buried hookup was at fault, would be to disconnect the hookup at both supply and inlet and run a temporary replacement using a known good lead, to see if the fault is still present, or not.

Was going to do that this weekend but after speaking to the electrician he seems to think that the plumber has probably got it wrong. He suspects that the plumber was taking readings from the connectors on the boiler if that makes sense.
Anyway he is going to come and give the caravan a full wiring test which will show any faults and rectify.

All sorted. Earth on main supply at plug in was non existent and who the live a neutral on the main supply lead to static were wrong way round. Unbelievable.

Reply to 240v on neutral and live? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net