Discuss 240vac to 24v Transformer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jc0r

Hi all, i am looking for a replacement part for an electrical power supply that takes standard UK mains and converts it to 24v. Below is a picture of the inside of the unit. The transformer inside seems rather large compared to other transformers i have looked at online. Just wondered if anyone could provide me with a little more information and point me in the right direction as i am an electrical novice at best!

20130301_110108.jpg

be careful not to touch that capacitor for a while after you unplug the unit as you can get a buzz from the power stored in it,this discharges itself after a while.....there are a lot of companies in the UK that make nice transformers, can you get a photo of that sticker on the top and put it on here ? and I will look out your best solution and tell you where to look at/order from online...
A new one of that size will probably cost you about £30.00 and about £8.00 for delivery due to the weight(probably about 9Kg)

I can post you some connectors,heatshrink, clips and a few lengths of wire for when you do the change/replacement (for free-I have lots of spares)as you will need them when you cut the old ones off....

The square black coloured component on the bottom of the case stuck down with the bolt going through it(with a heatsink/radiator) is a Bridge rectifier and rectifies (flattens out) the 24Volts AC(Alternating current) that comes from the step down transformer...and makes it 24Volts DC (Direct Current-just like the power from a battery)

Any questions just ask as I am on here regularly...

Hi,

I wander what do you supply actually with 24vdc and probably 60w?
For bathroom the voltage transformer you got it remain the best option about galvanic separation (The Output electric insulation actually). About any power supply for automation scheme remain as well because of simplicity somehow superior Switching power supply.
please more details about applications and/ or power.
Thank you.
Bertt.

Hi,

I wander what do you supply actually with 24vdc and probably 60w?
For bathroom the voltage transformer you got it remain the best option about galvanic separation (The Output electric insulation actually). About any power supply for automation scheme remain as well because of simplicity somehow superior Switching power supply.
please more details about applications and/ or power.
Thank you.
Bertt.

can we have that translated into sense?

What is the transformer supplying? Is it correctly sized? I'd want to know why the old one failed before I'd replace it and the new one goes the same way. Also transformer failure is far less likely than the rectifier failing. Have you tested the windings for insulation and continuity? It might also be worth investigating if the transformer has a non-resettable thermal fuse under the outer wrapping on the windings.

What is the transformer supplying? Is it correctly sized? I'd want to know why the old one failed before I'd replace it and the new one goes the same way. Also transformer failure is far less likely than the rectifier failing. Have you tested the windings for insulation and continuity? It might also be worth investigating if the transformer has a non-resettable thermal fuse under the outer wrapping on the windings.

here's what a non-resettable thermal fuse looks like, if there's one inside the transformer wrapper it will be connected to the Line(Live) input of the transformer and will most likely be inside some heat shrink plastic/rubber tube with crimp connectors on the ends....it is a bother to open up the transformer as it involves undoing tight bolts and undoing the plastic/paper outer jacket.....if you need a new one I have several spare...although I wouldn't recommend that a novice open up a transformer and try to re-assemble it again....

Attachments

• thermal fuses2.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 46
Have you made sure the 4 diodes that make up the rectifier are NOT short circuit ?
A failed diode may have cooked the transformer and caused it to fail !!!

( sorry Marvo I missed that bit in your post )

just test the output from the tranny/input/out too
it looks fine to me, not burnt, if it had over heated it would stink
then test the 24v at the input and the dc @ the /output
if the trannys packed up replace it
if the recs knackered replace it
onions what do u think?
btw i hope the tranny is de-coupled!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 240vac to 24v Transformer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net