Discuss 25mm Aluminium SWA in domestic setting! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Was asked to quote for a job today wiring up a summerhouse/playhouse in a garden to run the usual sockets, lights and garden tools etc...

When on the job the guy who is a scrap dealer/collector points to a roll of 25mm Aluminium 4 core SWA and says can you use that to run down to the summer house. He then points to a load of twin and earth saying could I use that to keep costs down and i could find lengths that would fit - cue laughter on my part...

Now this roll of cable as high as my kitchen table and probably long enough to wire up the whole street! I have my doubts over the original ownership of this roll of cable but I said to him no. its a bit overkill given the summerhouse is only 10 metres from the side of the house

I do like it when the customer looks at you all innocently and think they are doing you a favour supplying parts... This however i strongly suspect might be stolen so am wary of handling it! As for using used T&E to save £30, that was taking the biscuit.... the bloke is not poor by any stretch and has a Audi 4x4 on the drive less than a year old and his wife a BMW 4x4

I quoted him £800 plus parts but thinks I am a bit pricey so will think about it.

I know what you mean, I'd never get involved with potentially stolen cable, but how do you prove it's stolen? As a scrap dealer/collector he could of bought it legitimately.

In this case as long as all cable is in good-condition and BASEC approved with relevant markings, I'd be happy to use it where relevant.

Back in the seventies [14th edition] we had a job running sub mains for an oyster farm. Plan was to use 35mm 2 core armoured, customer went to scrap yard and came back with 70mm 3 core aluminium armoured. We then had the problem of terminating it and ended up with 200 amp cast iron fuse switch fuses for a 60 amp supply. Ended up more expensive than our original quote, without including the price of the cable.

Back in the seventies [14th edition] we had a job running sub mains for an oyster farm. Plan was to use 35mm 2 core armoured, customer went to scrap yard and came back with 70mm 3 core aluminium armoured. We then had the problem of terminating it and ended up with 200 amp cast iron fuse switch fuses for a 60 amp supply. Ended up more expensive than our original quote, without including the price of the cable.

...Cable from the scrap-yard? ...that's just shellfish.

...I feel you are musseling me out of this thread,so i will clam up,and prevent any further crabbing of my material.:eek:

Mods... This needs sorting...
While you are at it, have a word with @ruston, for finding the post 'funny'..

25mm Aluminium SWA in domestic setting! upload_2017-11-15_12-54-14 - EletriciansForums.net

Why the "Dumb" @DPG ? Do you not luv me anymore... :sob::sob:

It seems the 'in thing' to chuck dumbs around. Nothing personal don't worry :)

It seems the 'in thing' to chuck dumbs around. Nothing personal don't worry :)

Cool.. I can stop crying now..
Happy Happy Joy Joy

Reply to 25mm Aluminium SWA in domestic setting! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock